Dealer told me "you can't buy from them...

/ Dealer told me "you can't buy from them... #11  
Doc_Bob said:
Buy used, that solves the problem!
Bob
My sentiments exactly. Both of our vehicles and both of our tractors were about one year old when we bought them. Someone else pays the brunt of the depreciation and I can shop around for the best deal. As much as I love my Stihl 029 Farm Boss, I will never buy a new Stihl. I will not support any company that should be convicted of price fixing. [steps off soapbox] :rolleyes:

/ Dealer told me "you can't buy from them... #12  
A quick thought, and maybe some agree or disagree with me, but to me this seems like a type a discrimination. Of course it's not any type of racial discrimination, but none the less, a dealer(or corporation) is discriminating against you the consumer because of where you live.

/ Dealer told me "you can't buy from them... #13  
I had that with a Ford dealership. I lived in Mason City, IA, and stopped at a dealership in Charles City, IA to look at a Taurus. Negotiated a nice deal and sat down to do the paperwork. When they found out my zip code, they said they could not sell me the car with that particular promotion. Went to the dealer in Mason City, and was told that promotion was not available in that zip code. Never did buy a Taurus.

/ Dealer told me "you can't buy from them...
Thomas, yes, both of these dealers are now out of business. Bout the only Ford dealer now close is Four Brothers Ford Tractor/New Holland in Royce City near Greenville. We used them almost exclusively when I was a mechanic for Lone Star Gas. They picked up and delivered equipment, parts, calendars, caps, etc. This was about 10 yrs ago, not sure how they are doing today.

/ Dealer told me "you can't buy from them... #15  
If I get that kind of treatment at the Ford dealership, I still have Massey, Deere, and some foreign badges in my area. I'm not near as brand loyal as I once was.

/ Dealer told me "you can't buy from them... #16  
shaley said:
Take that John Maynard Keynes

As an Economics major I must admit I laughed out loud reading that one.

/ Dealer told me "you can't buy from them... #17  
In my case I got my best price from Corrihers and took that to the local dealers. Naturally they didn't like the price but they did match it.

I also shopped on-line for our Toyota Highlander and used the same tactic. Bought from a local dealer and saved a bunch there too.

I normally shy away from buying used as it's been my experience that you end up with someones else's problem.

/ Dealer told me "you can't buy from them... #18  
PineRidge said:
I normally shy away from buying used as it's been my experience that you end up with someones else's problem.

I've ended up with "somebody elses problem" after buying NEW on a couple of occasions. I prefer new if it's something I plan on keeping for a significant time. If I'm buying short term, then reselling, used is the only way for me.

/ Dealer told me "you can't buy from them... #19  
PineRidge said:

I've had pretty good luck buying 'just barely' used machines from the dealer. My local CNH dealer has sold me a couple tractors in the last 10 ys. Both were originally bought there, and returned as they did not suit the owner. in one case a CUT was brought back to get a bigger Utility machine.. and in the other case.. a larger Utility machine was brought in to get a smaller CUT/Utility machine. In each case, the tractor was on low-ish hours, and in good shape.. or with minor cosmetic damage. I got great deals on both... even got great trade in on the CUT for the Utility... I got 90% of what i paid for the used CUT as trade in on the used utility... 3ys later.

Soundguy

/ Dealer told me "you can't buy from them... #20  
BTDT said:
Back in 83 when I bought my Ford tractor, I went to the dealer in Terrell (in my home county, trying to buy local). He showed me a new 1100 2 cyl. diesel, 2wd for $5500.00. I went to Ben Griffin Tractor, in Dallas, and they showed me 4wd, 2cyl. diesel. I went back to Terrell dealer and told them that I found a better deal, did they want to match or make me another offer. He proceeded to tell me that I couldn't buy from Ben Griffin because I wasn't in their area of sales. I told him they didn't come to me trying to sell me a tractor, I went to them to buy, so as far as I was concerned there was no problem. He never offered to match price or give me another quote so I left. Any one else have similar situation?

I just got off the phone with a sales rep from a big Caterpillar dealer we do business with. (employer own 2 track loaders, 5 back-hoes, excavator, and an ancient grader) I quizzed him on "sales areas". He told me that they aren't supposed to go into someone elses "zone" to activly pursue business, but if someone walks in their door looking for a buy that will go out of their zone, all bets are off. It has been "suggested" to them that they stay at MSRP on sales outside their zone of operation, but no hard and fast rules on that issue.

In the end, I would think PRICE FIXING would be harmful to the parent company, if not the individual dealer too. Then again, without some "zones", the highest volume dealers would be able to squeeze smaller operations right out of exsistance.

TWO WORDS.....FREE ENTERPRISE :)