Dealing with sod clumps after grading?

/ Dealing with sod clumps after grading? #1  

Verticaltrx

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200/L2501/SVL65-2/U35-4, IH 454/656, Ford NAA, Case 1845C/480E/450C LGP
A problem I often run into is dealing with clumps of sod after excavating or grading a site. The problem comes after spreading the topsoil sod mix back out then trying to get a final grade and seed it. It usually goes like this (excavating for a building, road, pad, etc):

1. Peel off the topsoil and sod using the skid steer and pile it for use later
2. Do the grading or excavating, get the rough grade done
3. Spread the topsoil (which is full of sod mixed in) back out on areas that will be grassed
4. Swear at the clods while trying to lay a nice finish grade and get a good seed bed.

I can only think of two options really, first being till or disc the area after spreading the topsoil, or second try to only peel off the sod itself, then the topsoil, spread accordingly and discard the sod. I currently have the tractors and loaders in my sig, a landscape rake, box blade, 3pt disc, and spike tooth harrow. I don't have a tractor mounted tiller but I do have a small rear-tine walk behind tiller. I might eventually get more equipment(suggestions?) but for now trying to figure a better method with what I have. I know there are several guys on here that do grading and lawn installations for a living, so I'm sure there are some good answers out there. Thanks in advance.

/ Dealing with sod clumps after grading? #2  
Whether it's repairing a gravel driveway or grading...sod clumps are a real pain.

A tooth bucket works pretty good to break clods up during grading. If its not a structural grade, I don't bother stripping the sod / topsoil and then trying to put it back over the top. I just mix it in with a tooth bucket as I grade.
Rod01.jpg Rod02.jpg Rod06.jpg

If there's not that much dirt to move, I use a Harley rake to remove the grass (for disposal) with as little soil as possible, then go slow and mix the topsoil clumps in.
PV01.jpg PV05.jpg PV08.jpg

/ Dealing with sod clumps after grading? #3  
Get rid of the sod. You will never break it down to a fine enough product to grade out unless you put it through a shredder.

/ Dealing with sod clumps after grading? #4  
I know exactly what you're saying, I run into this all the time. The best thing I have used is a Harley Rake, one for the back of your tractors 3 point hitch would work but one for your skid steer would be even better. It performs better on the skid steer because it is driven hydraulically which gives you the ability to use it going forwards and reverse and it allows you to actually get fairly aggressive and really grade with it. It ends up breaking up the sod clumps, kicks out the rocks, and roots and levels the lawn area nicely. I have done several lawn jobs for customers where they didn't want to pay me to fine rake it with grading rakes by hand and they did their own seeding with minimal hand work. I would suggest, if it's feasible, to rent one and see for yourself, or check Craig's list, I see used Harley rakes on there all the time. It's been THE best attachment I've ever bought.

/ Dealing with sod clumps after grading?
A Harley rake sounds ideal, I'll have to see if I can rent one around here. Is the idea to use the Harley rake first to get the sod busted up and removed, or use it at the end of the process I outlined in my first post?

/ Dealing with sod clumps after grading? #6  
Get rid of the sod. You will never break it down to a fine enough product to grade out unless you put it through a shredder.

I'm with jel1988 on this. You can bury it but it will reduce in volume as it breaks down, so spread it all out.

/ Dealing with sod clumps after grading? #7  
Drag harrow works well, with some weight on it and it works even better. I use tires and ratchet straps. Still have some but it breaks most of them down.
Look around you can find old ones cheap. I got 6 sections for nothing from a buddy.

/ Dealing with sod clumps after grading? #8  
Drag harrow works well, with some weight on it and it works even better. I use tires and ratchet straps. Still have some but it breaks most of them down.
Look around you can find old ones cheap. I got 6 sections for nothing from a buddy.

/ Dealing with sod clumps after grading? #9  
As a homeowner, I put the sod clumps in a dirt/compost pile, then add dirt from another dirt pile if needed. But I'm no contractor. Sometimes I do the excavation in the fall and let winter break it up then till it in the spring for a seed bed. But again, I ain't picky, and it all smooths out eventually.

/ Dealing with sod clumps after grading? #10  
A Harley rake sounds ideal, I'll have to see if I can rent one around here. Is the idea to use the Harley rake first to get the sod busted up and removed, or use it at the end of the process I outlined in my first post?

Harley rake can be used to do the finish grading as it pulverizes. Depending on how you set it, it can used in place of the box blade and a landscape rake.