dearborn 19-21 for a 9n workover

/ dearborn 19-21 for a 9n workover #1  

garrittg

Tractor
Ford 9N
greetings all /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif just picked up a dearborn 19-21 for free for use on my 9n and am looking for a little advice on getting it in working order. the tubing is in great condition but it needs new hydraulic hoses. it has a trip bucket and no controls so i am assuming the hydraulic lever is what controls the up/down. i havent had the time yet to check out the cylinders but i am assuming in the least case i will need to replace some gaskets. is there someone out there that has worked one of these over that can provide a little advice/pointers? any pointers on where i might find parts for it? also, i have never actually put one on so a direction on how to do that would be appreciated as well /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TIA

/ dearborn 19-21 for a 9n workover #2  
On alot of these old loader setups, the owner simply used the 2.85 gpm 1500-1700 psi internal belly pump to power the loader.

The way to do this is you chain your lift arms down ( to the axle ), and then you get fluid power fromt he corner test port on the hyds pump. This is roughly under your right leg.. Look down at the fuffler, and there will be a corner sticking out of the bottom plate, and it will have a bolt/plug screwed in it. Tap power to there, and then the tractors big 'hytrol' handle is what makes your cylinders lift.. and of course.. the dump is a trip lever. This setup works.. however is a tad slow due to the pump volume,as that voulme is 'as new', and at 2000 rpm. Expect less at pto speeds, and with a little wear onthe pump. Also. this setup used the pumps built in relief valve alot.. alot more than the internal hyds do. When your loader gets to the top of the travel, if you don't lower the hytrol handle a tad to stop the pump, the relief has to start diverting the oil course.. that's its job.. just don't overwork it. Remember.. power up, manual trip, and gravity down. Makes a great 'powered' wheel barrow, and maneuer ford / silage toter.. not a superb payloader.

The other way was to add a front crank mounted 'stinger' pump. You replaced the crown head screw holding the front pulley on.. this is what you hand cranked the tractor with.. then you added a splined pump drive. This method also menas you will need a spool valve, and could even use a dual valve and add a hyd trip, and power down.

Loaders add a bit of wear and tear to the front axle kingpin.. so check it for slop now and then.. don't want your front axle to come undone from the radiator support housing.. not a big issue.. just look at it from time to time.

A website:

N-newsletter

Maintains a large archive of dearborn service manuals. They might have one for you.

Also.. failing that.. a member of one of the N-clubs I'm in also has tons of vintage literature..

N-club

His name is dave.. post your request for that lit.. and if he has it.. he'll speak up.

Soundguy

/ dearborn 19-21 for a 9n workover
thx soundguy. i just recieved my manuals for the dearborn and they pretty much have exactly what i need. are there any good places out there to begin looking for the part groups i need to purchase?

garritt

/ dearborn 19-21 for a 9n workover #4  
Seals will be standardized items that any hyd shop should be able to provide. The rest of the loader is pretty much just framework. if pieces are missing.. you will need to fab them, or get them fabbed.. or find someone parting one out... I'd go for fabbing it myself ( if you have a welder ).. or get a friend or local shop to fab the parts.

What specifically were you looking for?

Soundguy