Decent 2-stroke oil?

/ Decent 2-stroke oil? #21  
I've always used Klotz in all my racing motorcycles. Only because I was selling Klotz at the time. Never had any problems. There is only a handful of real oil companies. Does anyone know what oil they are using, when they use Yamalube, Harley oil, Honda oil, Ford oil, GM oil, Kubota oil, JDeere oil, etc., etc,.....??? Just use what you feel best with. It just might be the same as Wal-Mart's oil. Who knows, for sure ??

/ Decent 2-stroke oil? #22  
I agree with oil-man.

I rode with Jack Penton when I was much younger. I had a KTM 250 ISDT bike and I also had a Maico (not Maco) 360 square barrel motocrosser. I used Hi-point oil too.

I now have 2 Arctic cats, a 1000 thundercat and a 440 Z. I wish that a good synthetic existed in my days of plug fouling 2 stroke bikes.

I run Amsoil synthetic in my sleds, my chainsaw and my weedwacker. It dosen't foul plugs or smoke that much for that matter. The YZ is a fairly high compression motor. I'd start at 50:1 and check the plug. As far as checking the plug (which should be light brown), Start the bike, warm it up, and ride it at 3/4 to full throttle for a short ways. Chop the throttle and the kill switch at the same time and coast to a stpo. Then pull the plug and check it.

With a bike that old, even if it looks good, the crank seals are probably shot. Before you ride it at all, i'd pressure test the crankcase to see if the seals are leaking. If they are and you get a pressure drop, you need to replace them right away or the bike will lean out and you will sieze it. The YZ's had a single ring piston if I remember right. I'm sure that the Yamaha shop will be able to get the seals and Wiseco will have the piston.

If you need more info just let me know.

/ Decent 2-stroke oil? #23  
Well if we're dropping names, when I rode with Malcom Smith, he rode a Greeves. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Gene Romero rode a Harley Sprint, and neither of them was much good at Ascot. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Decent 2-stroke oil? #24  
"There is only a handful of real oil companies."

Hmmmm, actually there is only one, good ol' earth and the geologic processes that are unique to her.
Many two stroke oils use castor bean oil, some used dino oil and nowadays it may be synthetic meaning it is entirely or in majority produced from materials that did not come from an oil well somewheres about. I love the bean oils, camped at the track they were good to wake up to in the morning, the sound of racing two strokes and the aroma of bean oil wafting on the morning breeze.
We have been through many oil wars, some believe oil is oil, some not, I am in the NOT /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif catagory, thank you /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. J

/ Decent 2-stroke oil? #25  
Slamfire:

I don't ride "nuthin" now.

I'm too old, besides, I don't want to break anything. My neighbor who just happens to be my insurance man, wants me to get a honda dirt bike like he has. I said no thanks. I am considering getting a new Triumph Bonneville T-100. I had a '68 T-120 and the new ones look just like my '68 with the exception of the Lucas electrics and of course the kick start. People today don't know what a kick start lever is!!

I wonder what happened to Gene, Malcom and the Penton boys?

/ Decent 2-stroke oil? #26  
Suzuki's house oil is suppoed to be good too, though I've never used it. I've heard this from folks I have confidence in their opinions though.

Sorry, frankly I don't remember Suzuki's name for it.

Perhaps you have a Suzuki dealer closer?

I stand by my original position... if the bike is in decent mechanical shape and is going to be used for casual use (i.e. not raced), a good quality petro-based oil should be just fine.

Expensive synthetics or racing oils, though they certainly will bring a certain peace-of-mind I suppose, are very likely overkill and unnecessary.

If the bike still has oil injection, simply fill 'er up and verify the pump is working. If someone removed the oil injection, mix the oil per the oil manufactures directions.

/ Decent 2-stroke oil? #27  
Gene and Malcom both owned motorcycle dealerships, and I haven't seen either since Gene won the number one plate, 'cept in the movies. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif My wife cracked down on me when the gravedigger turned right out of the left turn pocket and I hit is front fender. I haven't been real anxious since then to tell the truth.

/ Decent 2-stroke oil? #28  
I don't know about Malcom Smith, of course I only saw him in movies and one desert race I attended. You guys must be a few years older than me because when he was King of the Hill I was still a young teen.
I saw Jimbo Pomerory in a few races on his Bultacos. He was the reason I bought a Bultaco. He still rides for show in Vintage and Evo MX racing. There is a fairly big movement that races the bikes from pre Japanese domination. I think Vinatage is pre 73 and EVO is pre 78. No long travel suspension, only period mods allowed and period "type" riding gear is encouraged. I went to such an event. It was so much more laid back and the course was on enhanced natural terrain. MX today has become outdoor superX. Jumps, Jumps and more Jumps. The natural terrain of real MX was more fun. The event I attended even had some sections with grass. In some parts of the country historic racing is rather popular with older guys who are sick of plastic bikes and fruity Ninja costumes and nose ringed/tatooed Gen Xers. What is with this tatoo/piercing stuff anyway? J

/ Decent 2-stroke oil? #29  
Considerin' that my oldest neice is older'n dirt, accordin' to her kid brother, I guess I am pretty old. I was a bit older than those fellas when I was racin'. As for the body piercin' it is supposed to let them know they are alive. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Decent 2-stroke oil? #30  
Slamfire:

We have a guy at work who has 3 metal balls in his tougue. We call him "metal mouth".

I was at a family party and my niece proudly displayed her navel piercing. A little jewel. I'd post a picture as she let me take one, but most of you guys are "dirty old men", so I won't.