decent moisture separator

/ decent moisture separator #1  

joeu235

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4020 / 6403 / 317 Ford 5600
I need advice on a decent moisture separator to go between compressor and plasma cutter on my portable rig. I've got a good setup at the shop but need something for the road.

/ decent moisture separator #2  

Attachments

• Motor guard system.jpg
    Motor guard system.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 451
   / decent moisture separator #3  
A desiccant filter is your best friend, which I'm assuming is the large canister on the one SA posted.

/ decent moisture separator #4  
thoses motor guard filters are the best! we used then to trap every bit of moisture when we were painting cars. rolls royces and mercedes. they worked best when we put them after the driers. I've have one at home for my plasma cutter and air hoses and works wonderful. in the 70's, we used to use unscented and plain toilet paper. can't say enough about them.

/ decent moisture separator #5  
Motor guard is what i use, behind a small Lowes seperator just off the compressor, then Hypertherm seperator on plasma cutter. Never had a water problem.

/ decent moisture separator #6  
I put an after cooler between my compressor & my tank. All the water condenses out & drops into the tank. After that I barely see any moisture in the filter/regulator coming out of the tank. Have a desicant setup the size of a roll of paper towels after that. As near as I can tell, that desiccant filter isn't doing anything as everything else has been taken care of upstream.

/ decent moisture separator #7  
Pretty humid where i am; water just pours out of the tank. So I disconnected the compressor plumbing from the tank and instead ran it to the "Franzinator" I built on the wall. It is amazing how much water it separates our by cooling the air and reversing the direction of flow. Perhaps you can mount one of those on your rig.

7-Full Length_4802.jpg

5-Top Half with Flow_4788.jpg

Ken

/ decent moisture separator
how far away is the Franzinator from your compressor?

/ decent moisture separator #9  
Sorry for the delay - I never got a notice of a post for some reason.I would say about 10' of pipe to the Franzinator. That was a "no-weld" Franzinator. I tapped the inside of the 3/4" nipple to accept pipe as well. Here are a few more pictures that would help if one is making one. These work so well that I am surprised they are not more common.

Ken

2-Pipe Threaded into Nipple_4780.jpg

3-Bushing Assembly_4783.jpg

4-Tee Assembly_4787.jpg
To confuse things, for the picture above, the top is to the right. On the others, the top is to the left. The 1/2" pipe is sized to go roughly 2/3rds of the way down the 2" pipe if I remember correctly.

6-Drain Setup_4798.jpg

7-Full Length_4802.jpg

/ decent moisture separator #10  
...I disconnected the compressor plumbing from the tank and instead ran it to the "Franzinator" I built on the wall...
Ken, Where is the "Franzinator"? Before the tank Or is it after the tank? Teg/Dan