Decent used truck?

/ Decent used truck? #71  
Having just parted with my 2010 Ram 1500 since the engine needed to be replaced (due to the known lifter-induced cam damage problem with 5.7 Hemi) I'd advise that it's worth being cautious when it comes to "high" mileage (>150k) Hemi engines.

Not complaining since I managed to get 185k miles out of it from new (and it was actually used as a truck), but just passing on that if you start looking at Ram trucks (or even the older Dodge Rams) some of the Hemi engines are known to develop this problem. Which in ways is made worse since there's another known issue with a manifold bolt breaking which can sound just like the start of the cam-shaft damage.

Personally I was seriously considering replacing the engine (for ~$7k) since the rest of the truck was in great shape (only other issue I ever had was the rear differential needing repairs at 100k - which was done under recall/warranty). However, between the need for higher hauling/towing capacity and other factors I ended up selling it ...and now I just need to find a decent low trim Ram 2500.

BTW ...coming at this from not looking at trucks in the last 11 years, it's surprised me how much gadgetry is standard in even the new base Tradesman models. Though the increases in fuel economy and capabilities have also gotten pretty impressive. ...
got one of those sorry Hemi 6.4 engines tore down in my shop. Tough trying to get repair parts for it. Lifters and cam trashed !
I tried to get my son just to trade it and absorb the loss, but he just wouldn't do it. so now, we wait for who knows when for new repair parts.

My cummings on the other hand, has not given any issues at all

/ Decent used truck? #72  
Here’s my new to me truck I just got today.
IMG_0205.JPG

/ Decent used truck? #73  
I started looking last year for a 1 ton truck to use for occasionally hauling wood, mulch, rock or whatever. Choices were junk or overpriced.
I found this instead.
Since its my farm truck insurance is about $50 a year and the taxed value is low. No emission controls, larger payload. Should last longer than me.
I have my 30 mpg 04 Ranger for daily hauls.

IMG_4111.JPG

/ Decent used truck? #74  
I started looking last year for a 1 ton truck to use for occasionally hauling wood, mulch, rock or whatever. Choices were junk or overpriced.
I found this instead.
Since its my farm truck insurance is about $50 a year and the taxed value is low. No emission controls, larger payload. Should last longer than me.

View attachment 701960
I like the door signage! (y)

/ Decent used truck? #75  
I like the door signage! (y)

Thats the way it was the day I bought it.
But the owner used it to pull a gooseneck for his metal business.
He had a few more painted and signed the same all delivering metal roofing.

/ Decent used truck? #76  
I found this instead.

View attachment 701960

I’ve had a ton dump for a few years and I’ve had a 6500 dump. I was wanting another ton truck with a duramax but quickly gave up on finding something to suite me so I bought the 750 with a Cummins in it. A medium duty is far more capable and far better priced than a ton truck.

/ Decent used truck? #77  
I’ve had a ton dump for a few years and I’ve had a 6500 dump. I was wanting another ton truck with a duramax but quickly gave up on finding something to suite me so I bought the 750 with a Cummins in it. A medium duty is far more capable and far better priced than a ton truck.

My 750 has a P pump Cummins, 6 speed. With a 9.5 foot bed its very maneuverable.
And yes they are a much better buy.