Decided I need (want) a UTV

/ Decided I need (want) a UTV #31  
I think 1 guy touched on it, but if you buy one of these to tote your family, be sure to note how loud they are. While diesels are great and all, most of them are quite noisy. Who wants a loud noisy UTV while your trying to enjoy a peaceful ride with your family.

My wife's uncle built a custom sequential dual muffler for his rhino to keep it quiet for deer season.

I have driven them all and owned a few. My Polaris Ranger diesel (3 cyl Yanmar Minimax) is by far the quietest of them all (both gas and diesel.) At idle it seems loud, but it isn't any louder at full throttle than it was at idle. Gassers get louder with RPM, so loud that conversation is impossible. The diesel ranger (pvt belt drive) will run ~42mph so I still enjoy rides with groups and gain twice or better fuel economy with less noise. For 2014, you can opt for hydrostatic two-range transmission with F/R treadle pedal just like a tractor, for a significantly higher price. I don't think the hydrostatic model will run 40+ mph though. Even more money will get you an OEM enclosed climate controlled cab with AC/heat on the LE Deluxe Diesel model.

The Polaris Brutus is basically the same machine as the HST diesel, but with PTO and front 3PH options.

Be aware that the belt drive diesel has the higher top speed and the "standard" Ranger fully independent long travel suspension. The HST model has a DeDion rear setup like a Kawi Mule or Kubota with much less overall suspension travel.

/ Decided I need (want) a UTV #32  
Mine is a used 2004 Ranger TM.
It isn't fancy.
It isn't quiet.
It can be hard to shift.
It is very wide.
It isn't 4 wheel drive.
Replacement parts are expensive.
It's a pain to change the oil filter.
You get dusty when you drive it around.
The bed doesn't dump with a switch or lever.

I love it.

Polaris Ranger TM

/ Decided I need (want) a UTV #33  
This IMO is the entire key to UTV selection . For some folks with a 40 acre place a 15mph speed is no real disadvantage . If you have a fairly level place then suspension travel really isn't key . In my case when i take out to check stock wells / deliver salt its a 27 mile trip if i don't check cattle/horses or drive fences so the top end speed is one of my key factors . By the same token if i do drive fences i will be crossing gullys and a creek a couple of times so good suspention travel is a must . By the time i get salt and mineral loaded up its pretty easy to have 1200 lbs in the box so payload is important to me . When factoring all this in it came down to either the Polaris Ranger , or the Gator with the ranger having a slight lead . When i found a used Ranger with full cab for under $7,000 my choice was made immediately . The full size Ranger fits my needs pretty much to a T given my ranch and situation . A smaller ranch or different terrain might well make another machine a better fit for my needs . You just have to sit down and look at everything you want the UTV to do and then start your selection from there . Too many ( imo ) either buy the " sexy " one , or the " cheap " one , or the " work ready " one and wind up with a bad fit for their needs because they didn't do a bit of forethought and research . Of course by the time they realize this they are " invested " in what they bought , both financially and emotionally . I am as " invested " as the next fella in my Polaris but at least can articulate just why it is a good fit for my needs , and some things to consider going into a first purchase that you might not think of otherwise.

Well said and 100% true!

/ Decided I need (want) a UTV #34  
Mine is a used 2004 Ranger TM.
It isn't fancy.
It isn't quiet.
It can be hard to shift.
It is very wide.
It isn't 4 wheel drive.
Replacement parts are expensive.
It's a pain to change the oil filter.
You get dusty when you drive it around.
The bed doesn't dump with a switch or lever.

I love it.

Polaris Ranger TM

Lol! Nice!

/ Decided I need (want) a UTV #35  
After narrowing it down to 5 UTVs and went to look and test drive. First thing my wife said about Kioti " it sounds like a tractor " Kubota was next but by then she new what to expect. Belt drives are a endless source of problems according to owners of any brand. Heat and noise are second most complained about.

/ Decided I need (want) a UTV #36  
After narrowing it down to 5 UTVs and went to look and test drive. First thing my wife said about Kioti " it sounds like a tractor " Kubota was next but by then she new what to expect. Belt drives are a endless source of problems according to owners of any brand. Heat and noise are second most complained about.

They have all those problems and more but dam they are handy.

*Notice how I spelled that? :thumbsup:

/ Decided I need (want) a UTV #37  
I wanted to buy one also but couldn't justify the purchase price. So I got an old 1998 KIA Sportage 4WD and striped and modified it to do the same job for about $3000 and you have car strength and lower parts cost. You can do the same with a Daihatsu terios, from about 1997 till 2003 models are cheap and both these are proper 4WD and have full chassis so you can mod the cabs with out compromising body strength.
DSCF0659 sml.jpg
DSCF0644.jpg
This was a lot of work and fun but even if you got one and just removed all doors and tail gate it would do the job for a lot less money.

Attachments

• DSCF0644 sml.jpg
    DSCF0644 sml.jpg
    507.8 KB · Views: 142
   / Decided I need (want) a UTV #39  

Really? Must be regional because I own a belt drive and have yet to have a belt problem....for that matter all my friends side by sides are belt drive and they haven't had issues either. Makes you wonder how many of these thousands of utvs sold every year are still stuck on the side of the trail waiting for that belt to show up.:laughing:

/ Decided I need (want) a UTV #40  
Really? Must be regional because I own a belt drive and have yet to have a belt problem....for that matter all my friends side by sides are belt drive and they haven't had issues either. Makes you wonder how many of these thousands of utvs sold every year are still stuck on the side of the trail waiting for that belt to show up.:laughing:
I'm with you.
I've put 3 thousand miles on my belt drive ATV in the last 2 years. I've never had any belt issues.
Most of the ATV and side by sides I ride with are belt drive. They are not having any belt issues.