Decision Time: PT vs BX

/ Decision Time: PT vs BX
A few responses:

Down pressure on PT PHD: Good point. And this is significant. On a number of occasions, I noticed the PHD I borrowed from my neighbor had trouble “getting purchase” and down pressure would be a big help. Also, I like the fact I can use a bigger auger on the PT for planting tree and such.

Three implements at once does not offset Quick Attach: Agreed. The only time I can envision this would be a big plus is when I would use the loader and something else (like a middle buster plow to loosen the dirt and then the loader to move it).

PT is less expensive: True, especially for the 422. However, I can currently get a BX2200, FEL, 60” MMM, box blade, and tiller from Carver for $13K. This is about $2K more than the equivalent 425. However, when I add a couple additional implements for the PT, that I already happen to own and can use with the BX, I’m within $1K or so. Still a significant amount by not a tie breaker for me in this instance.

The BX uses small implements that wouldn’t be appropriate if I bought a larger tractor: Not sure this is entirely accurate. I’ve seen a couple of vague comments on this issue but don’t have any specific examples, other than a PHD issue caused by the Auger being too long due to the BX’s “low rider” profile. This of course assumes I would only go up a size or two in tractors.

Snow/Dirt blade is cheaper on the PT: Good point. Unfortunately, I don’t need a blade or pallet forks. Although, frankly, need has never stopped me from buying an implement. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

PT mower better than BX mower: In general, I agree. My only concern is that the BX mower is suspended and should, hypothetically, perform well over rough terrain. I wonder if the PT mower would not cause problems in the same terrain. Not sure as I simply don’t have enough experience with either mower.

Dealer support: I had not made a big deal out of this issue as the PT factory is reasonably close to where I live and, after demoing the product, I am pretty confident I could get parts and quickly fix most issues. Normally, this would be a big concern for me but not in this case.

Ability to easily transport in a truck: Good point. Something I hadn’t considered. Not important to me at this point but maybe in the future.

Diesel engine advantage: I like the diesel engine because I like it. Kinda like the same reason I like the color green. No real logical reason…other than possibly the safety of storing and using diesel over gasoline. Don’t think the longevity issue is that important in this case as both engines will probably out last me. Also, as pointed out, the Kohler is cheap to replace.

Sounds like you would be more comfortable with the BX: Maybe, but I REALLY like the PT. It’s such a great design and is very reasonably priced. If Kubota hadn’t come out with the BX, it would be a very easy decision.

/ Decision Time: PT vs BX #12  
Ditto what marrt just said!

I've been doing parallel research for a while. I'm beyond enamoured with the PT, with primarily logic, not economics nor emotion, driving this conclusion. Simply makes sense!

/ Decision Time: PT vs BX #13  
marrt,

I "looked" at both tractors before I purchased my BX2200. I actually found the powertrac site before I found tractorbynet---I thought those machines looked pretty versatile, and the pricing was right. The two issues that I had was that I couldn't run out for a test drive on the power trac, and I was concerned that if something went wrong with one, I'd be out of commission for a while until I figured out how to fix it (or found someone to do it). Those were the two major strikes for me---powertrac didn't make the cut.

I've got about 20 hours on the BX. I love it. It's the first 'riding mower' I've ever had (I'll get grief for that comment/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif). The cut is extremely good, and I've got a pretty lumpy, bumpy lawn. I've been able to fly around on high speed. I have lots of obstacles (big trees, gardens, etc), and I find the power steering terrific, the HST forward/reverse pedal very convenient, and the turning radius very adequate. My other mower is a JD commercial walk-behind (54" deck). I find that I "know" where the deck is on the BX almost as well as I know where the deck is on the JD. The JD is certainly more manuverable in a tight pinch (well, as long as it's a 54" pinch /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif). But the ability to reverse on the Kubota and wing it around in another direction is pretty handy, and for my mowing, it's really an advantage. I'm pretty fast with a walk behind, but the Kubota has sped up my cutting from 40-50%.

A couple other points:

1. When I do FEL work, unless it's really light (like moving mulch to beds or light grading), I'll take the mower deck off. It comes off very easily. It goes on pretty easy (I'm still learning how to get the PTO shaft lined up to the mount).

2. The FEL is very easy to remove. Not this miracle 10-sec switch that I see the power trac do, but I can get it off or on in under a couple minutes. It's not a big deal---and remember, I'm new to this.

3. I haven't noticed any issue with exhaust fumes on the BX. I don't think it should be a major issue.

4. Rough ride is going to be a problem regardless. I believe that the suspended deck handles it a bit better in regards to mowing, but you might actually think about grading those bad spots eventually. I hear tractors are good at that sort of thing /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

I'm guessing that you'll probably be able to buy either one and be very happy. You might miss one or two items that the other may provide, but on the overall balance, I don't think you're going to be disappointed either way. I also have a hard time believing that you're going to need a bigger tractor for 3 acres---I've got 8 acres and the BX is a nice size. Sure---a 3410 might be better for moving some big piles of dirt around, but those jobs get done only rarely. I want to get a pond dug this year (small, but still 60-80' diameter). I'll probably start with my BX, and then figure out---hey, get some real digging equipment in here (with a rental).

Good luck, and enjoy your purchase, regardless of the color.

/ Decision Time: PT vs BX #14  
I went through the same decision struggle, but as a friend told me, there is no wrong answer. Both choices will do you well, one just a little more right depending on your circumstances. Some things that sold me on the Power Trac, quick attach, articulated steering (l like being able to move the attachment from one side to the other just using the steering as well as less turf damage), simple but rugged design. I also like the low center of gravity and implements out front.

In terms of traction, although I have not rec'vd mine yet, it is on it's way, I think on flat ground, the Kubota can probably put more power to the ground. It takes shifting into 4 wheel drive, and stopping to depress the differential lock. The Power Trac is all time 4 wheel drive, and the oscillation (twist) between the front and rear allow good footing for all 4 tires.

My conservative nature had me leaning towards the BX, but everything I wanted in a tractor said PT. I took the less conservative direction and believe that I will rewarded for it. (fingers crossed of course)

good luck, it's a pleasant dilema
Duane