Deck or Dump????????

/ Deck or Dump???????? #1  

GreatWhitehunter

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 110 TLB
Now, I have the truck and the tractor I just need the trailer. I can't decide and I'd appreciate your input. I was thinking of getting a 14' dump trailer (either ezdumper or load trail) but after I started pricing them I was quickly turned off. I then began looking at equipment trailers and really liked what I saw. I though I had my mind set on a 10k 18' tilt (manual hydralic damper) but that trailer was around 4k, half the price of the dump trailer. So after looking at the plain jane deck trailers (10k) I'm torn. The long deck would be nice for hauling the tractor and all implements but the dump would be nice to haul away the rock,roots and deliver materials to my home (mulch,crushed stone etc). The other pain in the ***** is that my driveway is hilly and it will be very difficult to get a large trailer up. I think I could get the dump up but not the deck. So that would mean storing it elsewhere. Any insite would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Matt :confused:

/ Deck or Dump???????? #2  
What will you be using the trailer for the most?

Will the tractor and implements fit in the dump trailer?

Sounds like you're going to haul a lot of bulk stuff that's difficult to unload without a dump trailer. If the tractor fits into the trailer, then IMO go for the dump trailer, especially if the longer trailer will be hard to get into the yard. If you don't need to move the tractor by trailer often and it won't fit the dump trailer, you might be able to rent or borrow a flat bed for the tractor.

/ Deck or Dump???????? #3  
You could get a tilt bed deck trailer to haul your tractor. Most come with stake pockets on the sides that you could build sides for it with 2x4's and plywood. I have a 20' tilt bed by H&H Trailer. I haven't had a need to put sides on mine yet but could. Only problem is a tilt bed won't go as high as a dump bed. Just a thought.

/ Deck or Dump???????? #4  
I have a 7 X 12 ft EZ Dumper that I bought 11 years ago with only minor problems. As this was the first trlr it did double duty as a equipment trlr and a dump trailer. Once you get used to the dump trlr you will wonder how you ever managed without it. I now have 3 trlrs, my old trusty EZ dumper, A 18 foot car hauler and a Moritz 25 foot dovetail gooseneck. The gooseneck is the sweetest to pull. Don't know it is behind you. The Old Gunny

/ Deck or Dump???????? #5  
I'm struggling with this issue now. I'm leaning toward the equipment trailer with sides. I don't have the issue with storage or getting it in my lot. However, the Deere 2520 with loader and brush cutter is almost 20' long. Getting a dumper that long is expensive. I could let the cutter hang off the back or the loader over the front and get by with a shorter trailer. However, since most of my bulk materials will be unloaded at the house, I think using the loader to unload rather than a dumper is what I'm going to do.

/ Deck or Dump????????
If it were for function alone the dump would be a sure winner. I will be able to haul the tractor with fel and bh in the dump but it will be tight. I really liked the tilt trailer and it would be nothing to at a hydralic pump to the setup. But the 4k price doesn't sit well. I was thinking of taking a ride south as I see lots of top quality trailers on ebay. I know, I know some of the trailers are junk. I've bought enough of them to know what I'm looking for. I need the following at a bare minimum. 5200lb axles breaks on both, break away kit, adjustable hitch,ramps, and quality items used in construction. The other drawback on the dump is the weight,those **** trailers a HEAVY!!!. They weight double a flat trailer empty. So even not loaded you still towing some weight. What are some price you guys have seem these trailers for?
Please list dimensions and brands.

Matt :D

/ Deck or Dump???????? #7  
I have a 14', 14,000 Titan dump trailer. Paid $5,400 for it 1.5 years ago. The trailer was sitting on the lot for 10 months. So his price was probably just before the steel started going up. I like it a lot and that was significantly cheaper than some other trailers for the features and construction. There is a significant jump in price between 12,000 and 14,000 lb trailers.
Went to auction this summer and a used, cheaper made 12,000 lb 12' trailer, 4 years old, sold for $6200. I thought that was kind of high.

/ Deck or Dump???????? #8  
Man, I kicked this idea around for months. I did go with the dump trailer and for me, was sure the right decision. I was more worried about the tractor and how it would fit, haul, etc.. and its kinda of tight in the trailer, but worked out just fine. This last month I have hauled home 12 to15 loads of gravel @ average 4 ton per load and graveled my whole circle drive with 1 1/2 rock. I would take the truck/trailer to work and come home with a load in the evening (18 miles round trip). I really like the trailer a lot. One thing, its a pretty good pull up steep hills with a load and the Dodge 1 ton dually kind grunts a bit, but there are a couple of pretty steep inclines on the way home. I also will be hauling around the property topsoil, branches, firewood, wood chips, gravel from town, and Its sooooo nice just to hit the button!
Also, your right, these things are heavy! The one I bought is 5600 lbs. empty. Mine is a 14 ft. Texas Bragg with 33" sides and its 14,000 lb GVWR. I carry 4 ton on it and wouldn't pull anymore than that on the road anyways. My tractor with loader and backhoe weights in at just under 3 ton, (5965 lbs).
In a nutshell, if I only hauled the tractor around, I'd own a flatbed, but with all the other things I wanted to haul, the dumper was just right tool for the job.

Here's a couple pics.......
Steve

Branson Tractor 3820-BL20 FEL -8620 B/Hoe -BTC Pallet Fork - 6' Box Blade - 6' Landscape Rake - 6" PTO Chipper - 6' Rear Blade - 6' KK Brush Hog

branson_trailer1.jpg

branson_trailer2.jpg

branson_trailer3.jpg

/ Deck or Dump???????? #9  
Nice rig. The gooseneck works nice for sitting the bucket/loader on. I have a similar bumper hitch dump trailer but no backhoe. I put the tractor in backwards with the box blade to the front. The loader bucket hangs out over the back of the trailer. Both types of trailers have there pro and con's but if a dump trailer has enough room, it works for both the tractor and hauling dirt, rock, trees or whatever.