Deck Wash System

/ Deck Wash System #1  

micman32

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar 221/Cub Cadet XT2
I was curious if the deck wash system works? My cub is a 2003 model and the deck wash wasn't available then. Does it clean out the deck really well or is some scraping needed as well?

/ Deck Wash System #2  
i find the need to power wash instead, so I find it dosent work as well as expected (using the 50" for the 3000 series). The power wash feature is not what I care about anyway - I can clean the deck -dont have a problem with that. Just concerned about cut quality

/ Deck Wash System #3  
micman32...
I have a CC '05 2554 with 60 hours and used the deck wash for the time the other day. To be honest, I was not impressed at all with this feature. When I purchased the unit, the dealer rep told me this feature does not eliminate the need for a good cleaning every so often.

In looking at the underside of the deck, where the hose fitting nozzles are, I found the underside of the nozzles to be caked up themselves...which meant I had to clean those out before any water could spray.

Then, after using the deck wash, it still didn't remove the caked on grass. Essentially, all it did was get the caked on stuff wet which if not removed... will promote rusting. The manual states to run the blades while the system wash is being used. That didn't enhance the effectiveness either.

Perhaps the wash system is more effective if used after each mowing. I don't know the answer to that but as for me...I am of the opinion that a good scraping and an air compressor is the best way to clean the underside of a deck. I will probably not use this feature again.

/ Deck Wash System #4  
The deck wash needs to be used after each mowing for about 5 minutes or so. Then raise the deck to its highest position, bend over and use a hose with a power nozzle to wash off the loosened clumps by pointing it through the discharge chute. Can you picture this in a CC TV ad with the water bouncing back into your face ?? It then does a fairly good job. On my old 43 inch mower I just ignored it until the seasons end and there was not much difference, but I’m fussier with the new mower and trying to get a clean cut on the weeds to make the neighbors think I planted grass.
Charlie in vt
GT2542 with 50 hours but only 10 actual (don’t forget to turn off the key)
43 inch YardKing AWS with bad peerless hyro (2nd time)

/ Deck Wash System #5  
My Cub with 50" deck has it and I like it. I jacked the front of the mower the other day to inspect underneath and it was pretty darn clean.
I have used the wash after each mowing since it was new.
I give each side two drinks each, alternating, at about half throttle.

/ Deck Wash System #6  
The deck wash system absolutely blows on my 2544 for my applications. I've run it for up to several minutes on each side & it does nothing more than make a huge sloppy green & muddy mess of your whole machine, your lawn and yourself. Everything on top of the deck gets soaked, which then makes it real fun to clean. Then try to blow it off with your air gun or leafblower !@#$% I just scrape the deck with a pc of wood and blow the whole thing off with my leaf blower. About every 10-15hrs I pull the deck, thoroughly clean it, regrease, reinstall.

Joel

/ Deck Wash System
Thanks Guys! I kinda figured that all you would get is a sloppy green mess to clean up. I agree that a good scraping and cleaning is the best way to go. I only use water when I have cleaned the deck completely. Sooner or later you have to remove the deck anyway.
SO we can agree that the deck wash feature looks good in the brochures!

Thanks again!

/ Deck Wash System #8  
For the deck wash system to work effectively you must attach the garden hose and use the deck wash system while you mow your lawn. Cut and wash at the same time. Be careful not to run over your garden hose while mowing.

/ Deck Wash System #9  
I think the Deck Wash system is more of a marketing tool, or gimmick than anything else.

It makes a green slush of a mess, and does not remove all grass under the deck. Which has to promote mold growth if not rust as well.

/ Deck Wash System #10  
They should rename it the Deck Rust System. I've used mine after mowing every time since I got my 2554. When I mow, it's usually only 2 or 3 hours at a time. I haven't mowed for about a week and when I had my deck off last night I noticed a pretty thick buildup on the front of the deck.

After a week of sitting, the buildup is still really wet. I don't see how this can be a good thing. All that wet grass stuck for a long period of time has to promote rusting.