Mowing Decreasing weight for mowing

/ Decreasing weight for mowing #1  

Jim_in_Omaha

Gold Member
Tractor
LK3054
In another post there was mentioning of lighter weight tractors are better for mowing. I had my loader (Buhler Allied) off to change the oil and service. So I thought about using the 6' finish to mow a few acres without the loader. Made a big difference and it only makes sense. Not only much easier to maneuver around trees with better visability, and it goes up the hills far better. Not sure what the loader and bucket/toothB weights, but I bet it's close to 850lbs or so..

My loader comes off very easy. Around 10 minutes and it takes around 4 to 5 hours to mow. When I'm brush hogg'in the tall stuff I'll leave the loader on to knock down a path. I have some big hills. Probably would not be much advantage for flatlanders except for tight quarters.

Interesting thought anyway..
Jim

/ Decreasing weight for mowing #2  
Jim, you have a good point, but you also have a Kioti tractor which weighs more than a lot of others. It's nice that you don't have to add any ballast to keep the front down while the loader is off isn't it? I've been on some lighter tractors with a 6 ft mower that just wouldn't do that without adding some suitcase weights or the like to the front.
Maneuvering without a loader on is sweet. John