Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch

/ Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch
I work with electric forklifts and I can tell you deep cycle batteries want to be drained before you recharge them if it were mine I would get a grp 27
they have some now that are deep cycle/ starting which would be better if you don't drain them as far as recharge cycles!!

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at the deep cycle/starting batteries now--getting educated on them.

/ Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch #22  
Every diesel pickup out there has two batteries in parallel...

tell that to the 4 dodge ram/cummins trucks i owned with only one battery (factory). most have 2, but not all.

i have been told by anyone in the "know" i ask on this topic that the best bet for a trailer winch battery is a regular starting battery, that is recharged on occasion. i am adding a 10k winch to my trailer as we speak. alot of people automatically say "optima", but they do not like high/demanding drains when they are used "stand-alone"----no alternator charging them

/ Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch #23  
It's not a problem at all to hook up two 12 volt batteries in parallel. My NPR has two, my Dodge Cummins has two and I put two 8Ds in my boat. The best way to make sure they are charged to the same voltage is to hook them up pos to pos and neg to neg, and then connect the charging cables one to the pos on one bat and one to the neg on the other bat. Otherwise they will have slightly different voltages.

Whatever type battery you choose, deep or starting, make sure they get charged properly after use and stay charged. The worst enemy of the typical lead acid battery is being left undercharged. This causes sulfation and reduced capacity. If they are connected to the truck batteries they will be charged to about 14.1 volts and held there when the truck is running.

I don't see why you can't just connect your winch to the truck's batteries with a disconnect switch and have the engine running when you use the winch. You probably have two group 27s right there looking for something to do. Then the alternator will recharge them automatically after each use and you won't have to carry around an extra battery. This is how I ran my Warn winch on my truck and I put a very heavy demand on it at times, much more than simply pulling a car up onto the bed. Never had to worry about the condition or charge of the winch battery. You'll have the full output of the alternator to help carry the current draw and the bats are right there behind the cab.

If you do go with a separate battery, use a starting battery because the winch load is similar to a starting load. Heavy short term amp draw. Deep cycle bats are more for slow steady draws like running lights, navigation equipment or trolling motors. Either way, keep them charged after each use. Only nicad batteries need to be run all the way down before charging, not lead acid bats.

tell that to the 4 dodge ram/cummins trucks i owned with only one battery (factory). most have 2, but not all.

i have been told by anyone in the "know" i ask on this topic that the best bet for a trailer winch battery is a regular starting battery, that is recharged on occasion. i am adding a 10k winch to my trailer as we speak. alot of people automatically say "optima", but they do not like high/demanding drains when they are used "stand-alone"----no alternator charging them

Thanks for the info. I'm getting the message--use a starting battery and keep it charged up between uses.

It's not a problem at all to hook up two 12 volt batteries in parallel. My NPR has two, my Dodge Cummins has two and I put two 8Ds in my boat. The best way to make sure they are charged to the same voltage is to hook them up pos to pos and neg to neg, and then connect the charging cables one to the pos on one bat and one to the neg on the other bat. Otherwise they will have slightly different voltages.

Whatever type battery you choose, deep or starting, make sure they get charged properly after use and stay charged. The worst enemy of the typical lead acid battery is being left undercharged. This causes sulfation and reduced capacity. If they are connected to the truck batteries they will be charged to about 14.1 volts and held there when the truck is running.

I don't see why you can't just connect your winch to the truck's batteries with a disconnect switch and have the engine running when you use the winch. You probably have two group 27s right there looking for something to do. Then the alternator will recharge them automatically after each use and you won't have to carry around an extra battery. This is how I ran my Warn winch on my truck and I put a very heavy demand on it at times, much more than simply pulling a car up onto the bed. Never had to worry about the condition or charge of the winch battery. You'll have the full output of the alternator to help carry the current draw and the bats are right there behind the cab.

If you do go with a separate battery, use a starting battery because the winch load is similar to a starting load. Heavy short term amp draw. Deep cycle bats are more for slow steady draws like running lights, navigation equipment or trolling motors. Either way, keep them charged after each use. Only nicad batteries need to be run all the way down before charging, not lead acid bats.

Good info. I have space on the NPR's battery rack for another battery so I'll put the winch battery there and wire the two batteries in parallel.

/ Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch #26  
Good info. I have space on the NPR's battery rack for another battery so I'll put the winch battery there and wire the two batteries in parallel.

Good plan!

Be sure to get the same type battery as the one already there. For instance, if it's a maintenance free gel cell, get another one of those. A flooded cell with removable caps, get one of those. And get the group 27 or group 30 or whatever is the biggest that will fit your tray. The size can be different, but it's best if they are the same type.

You can also get a high amp disconnect switch like the ones used on boats, if you like. They are easy to use and easy to find. Do a bit of research and pick the type you like. Just put it in the positive lead leading to the winch for a disconnect.

Sounds like a nice project!