deer fencing

/ deer fencing #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
Hi all i am going to have my woodlot cleared of the beech and poplar that have been growing instead of the ash, maple and cherry.
Once i get them cut i want to install some deer fencing and i will be buying some seedlings to make sure that i have the trees i want growing in the area.
i have not used the pvc deer fencing before does it really last as long as they say (10 for standard, 15 for heavy duty). I have a heavy deer presence. If i just put the trees out they will be gone in a week.
I have used two rows of chicken wire around my orchard (just planted this year) and its working out nicely, but i know there will be more testing in the woods of the fence.
thanks for any suggestions.
Forgeblast

/ deer fencing #2  
We also have a big deer presence and they chewed the daylights out of my sweet corn patches this summer. I'm surprised that the chicken wire would keep them out, you would think a deer could jump over it with ease. I will be interested in any responses that you get on this, I always thought good deer fencing had to be 8-10 feet high.

/ deer fencing #4  
I had a neighbor that would hang apples on his electric fence so the deer would learn what it was about.

Seemed to work pretty well.

/ deer fencing
i really do think they would test that system, my browse line is 6ft high, they really do munch everywere. in the spring the only seedlings left are beech.
it said light to moderate. i plan on putting in a ton of cherry, and i dont want them to have a free meal.

/ deer fencing #6  
Around our garden I put up a fence that is about 6 feet tall. The lower part of the fence is a square mesh fence that goes up about 4 feet. For the top two feet I put up High Tensile(HT) wire. The deer have not been in the garden so far. Maybe they will try the fence once winter sets in. If I need another strand I'll just put up some taller T-Posts and string more wire.

My fence is "temporary" since we will eventually add space to the garden so the fence will have to be moved. The HT needs strong corners which I dont have at the moment. The fence is not perfect but it is keeping the big four legged forest rats out of my garden.

HT is cheap and will last along time.

Later,
Dan

/ deer fencing #7  
forgeblast said:
Hi all i am going to have my woodlot cleared of the beech and poplar that have been growing instead of the ash, maple and cherry.
Once i get them cut i want to install some deer fencing and i will be buying some seedlings to make sure that i have the trees i want growing in the area.
i have not used the pvc deer fencing before does it really last as long as they say (10 for standard, 15 for heavy duty). I have a heavy deer presence. If i just put the trees out they will be gone in a week.
I have used two rows of chicken wire around my orchard (just planted this year) and its working out nicely, but i know there will be more testing in the woods of the fence.
thanks for any suggestions.
Forgeblast
I just googled how to keep deer out as i'm sure you have as well. Everything i seen had mixed results. People have tried everything from peeing around the area to hanging bar soap on a rope. Deer season is just around the corner, if not within city limits i would suggest letting any youngsters you know harvest a deer from the property. A little lead in the deers diet makes for a fine deterrant.