Deer season

/ Deer season #171  
Our son got his first one today, a button head. He’s so excited! He’s 7, so happy for him. I got it on video as well. 5 days left for rifle season. He shot it with his .243

View attachment 634391
Tell him good job! My son shot his first deer at that same age. He shot his with a muzzle loader.

We field dressed it and after getting the cavity opened up and cleaned out he looked at me real puzzled and said "Where's the meat?" Guess he was looking for hamburger and steaks.

I will always remember that day. Keep building memories!

/ Deer season
Smoked a deer ham today, man it was good!

IMG_4836.jpg
IMG_4837.jpg
IMG_4840.jpg
IMG_4848.jpg

/ Deer season #173  
Today was the last day of the season. We have been building our house so I have not hunted much. Usually just an hour at the end of the day or the first hour of daylight once a week. Sometimes it is just 20 minutes because that is all that I can spare from the build. So far I had killed nothing. I passed on many opportunities to kill a doe at the beginning of the season. I was waiting for something bigger.
We got rained out from building today so I got out in the woods with an hour of daylight. I was hunting thick woods and saw nothing so I was on my way back to our house when I saw two deer about 350 yds away across a hilly field as I was walking the edge. One was looking right at me. So I turned away and walked uhill into the woods. I had 5-10 minutes of light left. So I ran around the field and then across a low point in the middle of it to get myself close enough for a shot. I was carrying a 45-70. Not a long distance rifle, so I wanted to work within the reasonable limits of the weapon and my skill set. I did the awkward low profile creep run untill I lifted my head and saw a deer grazing at the edge of the field. I dropped and low crawled another 20 yds until I had a shot. There was only one deer. And it was almost dark, so I sighted in and shot a whitetail doe. It looked like this years fawn. Only about 10-15 lbs of meat. But that is good protein. And my wife cooked the heart and liver for the dogs.

/ Deer season #174  
I took 3 doe and a cull buck this year. I spent last night making batches of chili with last years left over ground venison and refreezing them in vacuum bags. We'll have the chili during upcoming NFL playoff games.

I'll make jagerschnitzel tonight with some of this years cuts. Guy Fieri's recipe for it is fantastic!

/ Deer season #175  
I am skunked, and have an empty freezer. Got a late start, had some that were out of range for early bow. Winged a good buck on opening day for gun (not happy with myself for that...) Not seeing much since. Today is last day for bow, in Indiana. I may force myself to go out, even with the high winds they're predicting for later.

/ Deer season #176  
Supposed to be in the mid 70's today and I haven't seen a legal buck during daylight hours all year. I have pictures of these bucks, plus a few other spikes that are also legal, but then never made a mistake and showed themselves anywhere near legal shooting hours. Hopefully they will be bigger next year. Today is the last day of the season and I doubt that I will bother going out to the blind with it so warm out.

81134292_10221237650473509_5617902744556797952_o.jpg