Deere 322 ignition coils

/ Deere 322 ignition coils #1  

mfreund

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4310 eHydro,
Does anyone have a source for ignition coils for the 322? I am the 2nd and 4th owner of a 1992 322. When I bought it back it seemed to run rough. The rear cylinder seems to miss every 3-5th time it should fire. I am waiting on the service manual. I have changed two of the coils when I last owned it(don't remember which cylinders). In 2004 the coils were around $20. Now deere wants $61.75. I wish I made 3x the money I did in 2004! Does anyone have a source for them or is my wallet $61.75 lighter?

/ Deere 322 ignition coils #2  
I am not famaliar with your model, but I have a John Deere 318 with an Onan engine and point ignition. I replaced the coil with one from a Harley- Davidson about twenty years ago aqnd it has worked ever since.It was a round canister type dual lead coil and looked exactly like the original Deere coil.If your tractor is two cylinder, has point ignition and uses that type of coil it is probably the same.They are a little cheaper. I own a motorcycle shop and can sell you one if you want.

/ Deere 322 ignition coils #3  
I am not famaliar with your model, but I have a John Deere 318 with an Onan engine and point ignition. I replaced the coil with one from a Harley- Davidson about twenty years ago aqnd it has worked ever since.It was a round canister type dual lead coil and looked exactly like the original Deere coil.If your tractor is two cylinder, has point ignition and uses that type of coil it is probably the same.They are a little cheaper. I own a motorcycle shop and can sell you one if you want.

The 322 uses an electronic ignition system with a separate coil pack for each cylinder. The system is unique as I don't think any other Deere tractor used a 3 cylinder, liquid cooled, gasoline Yanmar engine. I don't know of any other source for the coil packs other than Deere... for whatever that's worth.