Deere GT (235, 245) a good buy for a used garden tractor?

/ Deere GT (235, 245) a good buy for a used garden tractor? #1  

ishiboo

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010HSTC, Cat 279c
I'm looking to buy a used garden tractor, it will be used almost completely for mowing, however it will also occasionally pull a sweeper and heavy aerator (Bluebird TA12 48") and lawn roller.

I have a D130 I bought just for mowing - it can't even do that. I have a White manual transmission I've been using to aerate and lawn sweep, but the engine just failed.

My research has indicated the K71 in the GT235/245 would be a wise investment. The used ones I am seeing have 400-500 hours on them. Would this be a bad purchase? They seem to go for $2000-3000. I'd like to get 1-2 solid seasons out of it before I upgrade to a diesel 1-series or 7-series.

/ Deere GT (235, 245) a good buy for a used garden tractor? #2  
I'm looking to buy a used garden tractor, it will be used almost completely for mowing, however it will also occasionally pull a sweeper and heavy aerator (Bluebird TA12 48") and lawn roller.

I have a D130 I bought just for mowing - it can't even do that. I have a White manual transmission I've been using to aerate and lawn sweep, but the engine just failed.

My research has indicated the K71 in the GT235/245 would be a wise investment. The used ones I am seeing have 400-500 hours on them. Would this be a bad purchase? They seem to go for $2000-3000. I'd like to get 1-2 solid seasons out of it before I upgrade to a diesel 1-series or 7-series.

I have a 2004 GT235/18 HP KAWASAKI MTR it has around 500 hrs. I'am original owner ,paid $5200 otd w/promo cart for it. It has never let me down. Done just maintenance on it and its on second battery. The GT235 runs like the day I bought it.
I have heard reports of people getting average 2000 hrs plus w/out repair to these gas engines. Mine has slepted indoors 2/3 of its life. Its its in good shape w/low hours IMO that's a good buy.
I'am comeing up on 55 years of age and there are days in which I believe this garden tractor will outlive me. :D

/ Deere GT (235, 245) a good buy for a used garden tractor? #3  
I would make sure it will pull your aerator, the rest of it would be easy.

/ Deere GT (235, 245) a good buy for a used garden tractor? #4  
I own a 1997 GT235 6 speed, 48 deck and snow thrower. It has been completely without any kind of part failure or premature part wear out. An excellent example of John Deere durability.

Last edited: