Deere trimmer problems

/ Deere trimmer problems #1  

czechsonofagun

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B1750
I have and use Deere trimmer since 2002. It always run well and started right up and I never did anything to deserve it:) - I mean gas stays in through the winter, I start it every spring easily and use it till the fall.

This time it is different, I did about half a tank of trimming and it started acting up. The engine would slow down, never enough to die, but slow enough to stop cutting. I messed with it a little bit and found out that if I turn the trimmer upside down, it runs fast again.

I suppose the carburetor needs cleaning, should I just spray carb cleaner down the airhole and let it sit?

I am open to ideas and suggestions, thank you in advance.:)

/ Deere trimmer problems #2  
Not familiar with that model, but I expect disassembly will be required. Provided it has adjustment screws, I'd first set them to the factory specified settings and see how it does then. If it is no better, as you'll probably find, I'd disassemble the carb and clean it and fuel line completely. You may find the fuel line has become gummy due to the ethanol now in gas - replace it for insurance. If the carb has a metal bowl/float, they are probably corroded and need cleaning. From those far more experienced than I, word is that ethanol ruins fuel lines, causes "shellac" to come free of it's present residence and clog orifices within the carb, and the ethanol attracts moisture leading to corrision. After cleaning, I'd recommend trying some of the pre-mixed gas/oil that comes in a quart can at most dealers and/or auto parts stores. That will rule out any fuel grade/age/etc. issues. If it runs well on it, then go back to your present mix.
Good luck with it and don't feel lonely as everyone using ethanol laced fuel is having some kind of issue with it.