Deere x500/x700 All Wheel Steering/Liquid Cooling?

/ Deere x500/x700 All Wheel Steering/Liquid Cooling? #1  

dbk123

Hi,

Am considering purchase of a Deere x500 or x700 series tractor. I'd appreciate hearing whether folks think all wheel steering is a big benefit (unfortunately, it looks like it only comes with the turf tires on the x500 series).

Also, I know that liquid cooling will likely prolong engine life. Are the liquid cooled motors any quieter than the air cooled ones?

Thanks!

-dbk123

/ Deere x500/x700 All Wheel Steering/Liquid Cooling? #2  
dbk123 said:
Hi,

Am considering purchase of a Deere x500 or x700 series tractor. I'd appreciate hearing whether folks think all wheel steering is a big benefit (unfortunately, it looks like it only comes with the turf tires on the x500 series).

Also, I know that liquid cooling will likely prolong engine life. Are the liquid cooled motors any quieter than the air cooled ones?

Thanks!

-dbk123
Four-wheel steer is very nice in my opinion. As for liquid cooled..?...I have a Deere with a radiator and two others without. That means to me that I have to fool with cleaning one radiator screen and flushing one coolant system. The other two machines without are doing just fine. Turf tires are my choice of preference.

/ Deere x500/x700 All Wheel Steering/Liquid Cooling? #3  
dbk123 said:
Hi,

Thanks!

-dbk123

If your talking a liquid cooled diesel, yes it would be quieter than an air cooled gas. On a gas engine... liquid cooled doesn't just extend your engine life... it pretty much doubles it.

/ Deere x500/x700 All Wheel Steering/Liquid Cooling? #4  
I had a Deere x475, it was quieter than my fathers gt235. JC

/ Deere x500/x700 All Wheel Steering/Liquid Cooling? #5  
I have a 425 AWS that is liquid cooled. Markedly quieter than an air cooled machined. AWS is awesome. Read my other posts on this topic.

/ Deere x500/x700 All Wheel Steering/Liquid Cooling? #6  
I have a JD gaser that is LC and it is really quiet

/ Deere x500/x700 All Wheel Steering/Liquid Cooling? #7  
The liquid cooled Kawasaki is noticeably quieter than the air cooled Kawasaki that Deere uses. Just a little story to illustrate--my father viewed liquid cooling on a lawn mower as just another unnecessary system to give problems and adamantly didn't want a liquid cooled mower; then he started and ran a JD 335 (air cooled) and 345 (liquid cooled) side by side. The liquid cooled engine was so much quieter that it changed his tune on the benefits of liquid cooling on a lawn mower and he bought the 345.

/ Deere x500/x700 All Wheel Steering/Liquid Cooling?
Great info on the liquid cooling. I managed to borrow a used x540 from the local dealer and have been testing it. So far I really like it, but I will say that the ride on uneven ground seems 'bouncy'. Perhaps this is due to the oversized wheels (our old STX46 has a firmer ride that is harsher, but doesn't bounce).

Also, even when warm the engine won't start without the choke. I assume that this means that carb needs some adjustment?

Thanks again!

-dbk123

/ Deere x500/x700 All Wheel Steering/Liquid Cooling? #9  
Hi

I would go with the Liquid Cooled X700 series for prolonged life and much quieter engine then the Air Cooled Kawasaki engine. I have a John Deere 425 AWS with 60 inch deck, and Liquid cooled engine. The engine is definately quieter then my air cooled Kohler command engines in my Agco mowers. I would go with the AWS option as you will be amazed at how close you can cut around things, no to mention turning around at the end of the lawn. With my 2WS Agco 1920H, I used to have to stop, back up and then turn back into the next swath where as with the AWS on the 425 you can swing right around avoiding to stop and back up. This saves time, especially if you are a commerical operator like myself. The AWS is incredible, I am finding that I can cut areas with it, that I used to have to use a 38 inch deck and 2WS mower. Very impressed with being able to do that. I find that the AWS gives you more stablity if your cutting on sides of hills. I fill very comfortable on hillsides cuttting with it. I have had the opertunity to drive both an X534, and found it it to be more rough riding then my 425. I think weight may be a factor as the X500 series are considebly lighter then the 700 series. Good luck with whatever you choose as both would be good mowers but I would opt for 4WS. For tires, I would prefer Turff tires if your going to cut grass on wet grass, as bar tires seem to dig into the ground. I have seen this with another 425 with AWS and bar tires. I would go with turff tires. Take Care Jason B