Dehumidification system for garages

/ Dehumidification system for garages #1  

Jtschnel

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 1026R
I'm not sure if this question is appropriate for his forum but I figured with all the knowledgeable and helpful people on TBN I'd be able to get some good advice. Plus, I'll make it seem appropriate by mentioning my SCUT!

I have two finished garages for storing everyday and fun cars, a few motor cycles, and my Stihl and other tools ... and my JD 1026R (now I figure the post is legit!). Even though the garages are heated, I noticed mold on the interior of my '59 Cadillac a while back. After some research I read that keeping the humidity under 50% will elleviate moisture related problems.

I purchased three 70 pint refrigerant type dehumidifies for the garages which does keep them at the desired range. Obviously they work pretty hard if its humid outside and the door is raised or lowered, but nothing I can do about that and they do get it back down fairly quickly.

The problem is the need to constantly empty the reservoirs when they're working since I don't have drains in either garage. I have not chosen to hook a hose up and run it through the wall outside as I figured it would freeze in the winter (I'm in WI). The other problem is that I've already had one fail and a second nearing that point, but that's just a poor choice of product.

There are times when we are gone for a week or so at a time and so am not around to empty the full reservoirs.

I've read about the desiccant type dehumidifies which don't collect the water in a reservoir but once extracted remove it from the interior via a warm water laden air stream blown outside the building. This would alleviate the need to empty the reservoirs plus this type is supposed to work in very low temperatures (that part doesn't matter too much to me as both garages are heated to generally around 45-50 degrees in the winter).

Have any of you used this type of dehumidification system? Do they work well? Do they cost much more to operate? If a good way to go, any suggestions on a brand? If not, other suggestions?

Appreciate any input!

Oh yeah, the garages are around 40x24 and 36x32.

Thanks,

Jim

/ Dehumidification system for garages #3  
Not sure why you'd need to run dehumidifier in the winter, so drain hose shouldn't freeze. Relative humidity in winter there should be about 20% or so.

/ Dehumidification system for garages
Not sure why you'd need to run dehumidifier in the winter, so drain hose shouldn't freeze. Relative humidity in winter there should be about 20% or so.

I agree that in most instances the humidity should be fairly low during the winter. That said, part of one garage is used throughout the winter for storage of our everyday vehicles so the humidity increases when the ice and snow melts as the garages are heated. Part of the other is used to store the SCUT which is used for snow removal for my and a number of other's properties. Also, being in S WI, we do get spells during the transition to and from the winter season where the humidity can increase due to melting and weather.

You are correct though, for most of the winter season it shouldn't be needed. I'm just hoping to find something that provides dehumidification if and when needed without me needing to be there or tend to it. That's why I was looking at the desiccant type system.

Ebac DD300 Cold-Weather & Desiccant Dehumidifier - FactoryPure

Appreciate the replies,

Jim

/ Dehumidification system for garages #5  
If you're going to spend the amount of $ the desiccant dehumidifier costs I suggest looking at mini-splits by Fujitsu, also known as cold climate heat pumps. They can provide both heating/cooling AND humidification. This way you can extract moist air or provide point of use AC or heat supplement as needed. The latest models can heat down to -15 outside temps, and they are very quiet and highly efficient. I know this because I'm having two installed tomorrow, or Wed.
Another alternative is Aprilaire Co. which makes systems similar to the desiccant dehumidifier, which can be used as standalone or hooked to ducting, as can some cold climate heat pumps.

/ Dehumidification system for garages #6  
Could you let them drain into a barrel?

/ Dehumidification system for garages #7  
I use a Humidex Garage Control Unit in my insulated garage. Humidexョ サ Products
Cost ~$150 Cdn, took 30 minutes to install. Works by increasing airflow through the garage to reduce the humidity level; controlled by a humidistat. Note that most humidity in my garage is caused by water condensing on the concrete floor (or water/snow brought in on the cars). Since it uses airflow, there is no need to provide for water drainage & it runs automatically.
Works well - no more condensation on the cars in the winter, wet floors, frost on the windows, etc. Mostly keep the windows open in the summer, but occasionally turn it on if we have a long wet spell & it works then as well.

Last edited:
   / Dehumidification system for garages #8  
If you're going to spend the amount of $ the desiccant dehumidifier costs I suggest looking at mini-splits by Fujitsu, also known as cold climate heat pumps. They can provide both heating/cooling AND humidification. This way you can extract moist air or provide point of use AC or heat supplement as needed. The latest models can heat down to -15 outside temps, and they are very quiet and highly efficient. I know this because I'm having two installed tomorrow, or Wed.
Another alternative is Aprilaire Co. which makes systems similar to the desiccant dehumidifier, which can be used as standalone or hooked to ducting, as can some cold climate heat pumps.

You're going to love those units !! I put two in about 5 years ago. One is strictly cooling, and the other is both heat and cool. I live in an old farmhouse with a long, narrow kitchen on the North side that was always freezing in the Winter. Now it's comfortable as can be, and seems to produce heat on all but the very coldest days..