Dehumidifier Recall, they can catch on fire

/ Dehumidifier Recall, they can catch on fire #21  
Gonna try..Just don't want one from that manufacturer and that's what Lowes sells..I'll take a replacement if necessary as a temp backup for the one I bought from the Home Despot.

/ Dehumidifier Recall, they can catch on fire #23  
Glad we shut ours off in the crawl space. Wasn't doing anything anyway. Had the heat/AC people come and put a discharge into that space and opened it up to the rest of the house. It's encapsulated under there in the crawl space, just stays dampish, but not now with that discharge bringing air out of it.

Problem with most dehumidifiers is they do not have a discharge for the hot air off the compressor discharge. Had one in the basement for a while that discharged hot air and even condensed water out with it through a duct under a sealed off window opening. Have since replaced that with a ductless heat pump system.

Ralph

/ Dehumidifier Recall, they can catch on fire
I still have not got my check from the recall.:pullinghair: I feel like I am getting a bunch of run around.

/ Dehumidifier Recall, they can catch on fire #25  
   / Dehumidifier Recall, they can catch on fire #26  
Thanks for the post. I have purchased 2 dehumidifiers since 2005. Will check them out before starting them this year.

Ditto on a big thank you for posting this. Fortunately, my Frigidaire 70 pint unit purchased at Lowes is not on the recall list.

No problem.

Thanks for the post. I have purchased 2 dehumidifiers since 2005. Will check them out before starting them this year.

I would check them ASAP. It takes forever to get your check.

/ Dehumidifier Recall, they can catch on fire #28  
i did get my check, several weeks ago... guess you gotta chase it now
they paid me 10$ more than i paid at sears, yet, i didn't get reimbursed for sales taxes
so i ended up about $5 short

I think I am supposed to get $300 and mine cost me $220.

/ Dehumidifier Recall, they can catch on fire #30  
Does any one know what was the defective part that caused the fires that resulted in the recall? Ours was on the recall so we took it out of service and sent in what they requested to be returned. Ours seemed to be working alright but I wouldn't want to take a chance on it, not worth it.

I read somewhere the issue was a low refrigerant charge at the factory. I surmise the compressor then overheats since there isn't enough refrigerant to cycle back & cool the motor.