Dehumidifier Suggestions...

/ Dehumidifier Suggestions... #11  
We have an Aprilaire in our crawlspace because we didn't think a small, not commercial would hold up. This one works well but they are spendy.

/ Dehumidifier Suggestions... #12  
When the Emerson unit failed several years back, I did an internet search on a replacement. Sentiment then was that Japan made the best domestic refrigeration units.

I bought a toshiba. It works just fine, plumbed through the wall to drain outdoors.

Serves 1000 sq. ft of walk out basement.
Takes 2 gallons of water out of the air per 24 hrs. The space is kept at 55%RH. It's been RAINY-WET this June and July.

/ Dehumidifier Suggestions... #13  
Just my $0.02, but if you can, position your dehumidifier near the ceiling. Warm air rises, and it holds more water, so putting the dehumidifier up helps get more water out of the air.

All the best,

Peter

/ Dehumidifier Suggestions... #14  
We have been using Santa Fe & Aprilaire units on customer projects for years... Both good companies with good support. And as many others have said... I would definitely try to get it piped to a drain (even if you need to use a condensate pump)...

/ Dehumidifier Suggestions... #15  
Just my $0.02, but if you can, position your dehumidifier near the ceiling. Warm air rises, and it holds more water, so putting the dehumidifier up helps get more water out of the air.

All the best,

Peter
There may be some logic in this, but it doesn't really work. The amount of water in the air is more or less constant. If some portion of the air is warmer, the relative humidity will be lower, because the air contains a smaller portion of the total it could hold. The dehumidifier works by lowering the temperature to make the water vapor condense. If you put it in a warmer place, it will not lower the temperature as far and less water will condense because the unit only has a constant BTU removal capacity. The best place for the unit will be where the temperature is lowest and moisture is most likely to condense. That's where you want to maximize the moisture removal.

Basements and crawl spaces are where we need dehumidification because they have cool surfaces likely to cause condensation, not because there is more moisture in the air.

/ Dehumidifier Suggestions... #16  
Some of the new dehumidifiers have a built-in pump. Another option is a condensate pump (as mentioned before)
Amazon has several models to choose from.

/ Dehumidifier Suggestions... #17  
I think they are a crapshoot these days. I got 2 identical units at the same time. One for the basement, one for the shop. The basement one lasted 2 years and died. The shop one about 7 or 8. No rhyme or reason to the difference. I just replaced the shop one last week. Some models do have a condensate pump built in, which could help if you have no direct path to a drain.

I ended up putting in a wall unit in the basement that is piped to the floor drain but I don't think it works that well frankly and was $1100 5-6 yrs ago. The shop gets the bucket manually dumped as it about the best I can do there and works well enough to keep the rust at bay on tools that way.

/ Dehumidifier Suggestions... #18  
When we built this place, prior to the AC being installed, we literally had lines of water on the floor where moiosture condensed on the pipes in the (basement) ceiling. I bought a dehumidifier and the next day, all was well and the sticky air was gone. This was 20 years ago.

So I've always ended up using the dehumidifier in the (walkout) basement as it is always more humid down there.

Machine gave up the ghost yesterday so it's time for another. I originally had a Kitchenaid 60/pint unit. I have to dump the bucket maybe twice a day (I just crank the humidity level as LOW as it will go so it essentially works all day)

Anyway, I'm open to a larger unit. I'll still have to carry the water out because the finished basement doesn't really have any provisions to accept a drain hose unless I piped it into the sink, toilet or shower. Don't think that's going to happen.

More interested in a higher capacity unit than smaller unit. Even looked up some commercial units that are over 700 pints. Never heard of any of the brands, probably all made in china (which I hate).

So if possible, any DOMESTIC units out there that are good and high capacity??
Same problem. Insulate the pipes and you will not have the dripping from the water lines. Still, get a dehumidifier and an HVAC water pump. The pump made all the difference in the world; I use to empty it daily.

/ Dehumidifier Suggestions...
Some filler info...

finished basement, tile floors. Ventless fireplace, stereo, tv... washer/dryer room connected. Actually the utility room is a fully finished bathroom...again, tile floor, very nice walk in shower (washer/dryer behind accordian doors)

So I can't easily just drop it into a drain....no drain exists. I could plumb it into the toilet or shower but frankly, that's not going to work either.

I just dump the water and that's ok by me.

/ Dehumidifier Suggestions... #20  
Hisense sucks out loud. They die quickly and usually with the E9 code and a new humidity sensor usually doesnt fix it.
Had two die recently same E9 code.
They usually last till the warranty is out.
Looking for good stand alone units myself. Will probably check out Consumer Reports.