Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats....

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #31  
The solution is to build generation and infrastructure that will support your customers. Of course peak demand will be on the hottest/coldest days, not many rocket surgeons required to sort that one out...........
Trouble is, NIMBYS and various government agencies make it very difficult to build new generating plants, never mind the loss of hydro capacity caused by the drought in the west.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #32  
Trouble is, NIMBYS and various government agencies make it very difficult to build new generating plants, never mind the loss of hydro capacity caused by the drought in the west.
Georgia is building two AP-1000 reactors at Plant Vogtle, which are the first new nuclear units to be built in the U.S. in more than 30 years.

USA has been investigating and are of the opinion alternate clean energy production can be produced cheaper than fossil fuel. Still not sure how that will work at night. It would seem we will have to have both alternate clean ‘energy for day, fossil fuel for night.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #33  
This article was in the recent Rural Missouri magazine that's sent to coop members and or employees of a coop. Energy Insights
It's not real long and gets to the point. This CEO came on board a couple years before I retired from the power plant. I felt he would be an improvement over our previous CEO who hired on a year before I started.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #34  
Georgia is building two AP-1000 reactors at Plant Vogtle, which are the first new nuclear units to be built in the U.S. in more than 30 years.

USA has been investigating and are of the opinion alternate clean energy production can be produced cheaper than fossil fuel. Still not sure how that will work at night. It would seem we will have to have both alternate clean ‘energy for day, fossil fuel for night.

In my opinion the viability of most alternate energy sources comes down to having an effective means of storage, maybe batteries will get there somehow someday.

Nuclear certainly seems to me as a very attractive solution, just with a high cost in the rare instance when something goes wrong.

Our passion to dump fossil fuels will cause a lot of short-mid term pain, hopefully not long term pain.

Best,

ed

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #35  
In my opinion the viability of most alternate energy sources comes down to having an effective means of storage, maybe batteries will get there somehow someday.

Nuclear certainly seems to me as a very attractive solution, just with a high cost in the rare instance when something goes wrong.

Our passion to dump fossil fuels will cause a lot of short-mid term pain, hopefully not long term pain.

Best,

ed
and cost of storing the radioactive material that will be created.

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #36  
Yea of course. Dealing with aging ev batteries and batteries on the grid should they ever exist. Every silver lining has its cloud:)

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #37  
Good joke. I don’t have one of the tankless water heaters so mine is still referred to as a 55 gallon hot water heater.
''Hot Water Heater'' :ROFLMAO: Most water heaters heat cold incoming water.
As for me and my family, we use tankless

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #38  
Correct. Good post

The Power Company sends a signal down line using the same technology they use to read your meter every month to signal the installed device to cut power. Most also turn the hot water heater off.
as long as they don't turn off my cold water heater, I'm good !
Having said that. They can cut power to my entire home but not my T.stat.
I don't use a T.stat. I use a controller;)

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #39  
Us plumbers love those calls ''my hot water heater isn't working'' :ROFLMAO:

/ Denver-area power company "locks" smart thermostats.... #40  
Radioactive waste has gotten a bad rap from ill-informed people and bad movies. Technology has greatly improved the options for storage. Much of the expense is overcoming the ignorance and fear that people have. Nuclear material occurs naturally. Contrary to Hollywood imagery, it is not a liquid mess of rusty barrels glowing with green goo. New reactors can use material more efficiently and even use 'waste' as fuel. Returning the material deep into the ground is a viable method. Unfortunately, the opposition to doing so has thwarted most attempts. What we need is people to learn the truth and those who oppose for political purposes to be exposed for the charlatans they are.