Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures

/ Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures #1  

chatcher

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC35DA, JD X324
You may or may not be aware that I am suffering from an acute case of "Tractor Madness". While this is no excuse for what I did today, maybe you can at least accept it as an explanation.

I called my tractor dealer this morning, only to receive the bittersweet news that my long-awaited TC35DA was ready for delivery, and that although delivery had been promised for today, at the latest, he would not actually be able to deliver it to me until sometime Monday. There went my blood pressure. (Did I mention this weekend will be the first really nice weather weekend we've had this year?) At this point my mind began searching for a plan B. I do not own a suitable trailer for transporting a tractor. Both my vehicles have Class III trailer hitches, but neither is designed to pull much weight. My new TC35DA has a 16LA loader, quick-attach faceplate, a really heavy duty 72" skid-steer foundry bucket with toothbar, grille guard, 420 pounds of rear wheel weights, and a 758C backhoe with 12" bucket. I have not yet calculated the total weight of all those items. I did not do so this morning because I did not want to accept the fact that I had absolutely no business trying to tow it.

A few calls to tool rental places yielded a tandem skid-steer trailer that could physically be attached to my pickup (an F-150 V-6 5-speed short bed, probably the worst choice of all F-150's for towing). I headed over to NationsRent immediately. When I saw the trailer, my first thought was that it looked a little short, but I did not measure it because, again, I did not want to accept the fact that I had no business trying to tow it. I hitched it up and headed for my friendly, but not as beloved as before, New Holland dealer.

I should mention that my part of the country is not very flat, nor are the roads particularly straight. There are some real hills on the 50-mile route between me and said dealer. Two-lane, winding, up-and-down blacktop with a 55-mph limit in most places. I mention the terrain because it explains the reason why I had some difficulty towing the empty trailer to the dealer. No real problems, but I had to use second gear on a couple of the hills, and in one town with a lot of traffic lights I could distinctly smell burning clutch. Not a good sign, and you would think a sane individual would conclude adding additional weight to the equation would not be a good thing. I tried not to think about it, since I did not want to accept the fact that I had no business trying to tow it.

I arrived at the dealer, inspected my new tractor, and briefly considered what a shame it would be to never get it home. The dealer's people were very supportive, and all felt there was no reason why I would have any trouble at all. I wasn't so sure as I watched the back of my truck nearly come off the ground when they drove the tractor onto the trailer. The attached photo shows just how well the trailer fit my new rig.

Attachments

• 623849-05APR08-T01a.jpg
    623849-05APR08-T01a.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,025
   / Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures
You may notice the loader bucket is somewhat in front of the trailer bed. The first try resulted in about 1 pound of tongue weight. I was pushing for moving the wheel weights into the bed of my truck, but they wouldn't hear of that, and if I insisted on more tongue weight, we could get that by moving forward a little more. I believe we did have enough when I left, at least when the giant pendulum wasn't swinging to the rear. The attached photo shows the abused tow vehicle.

Attachments

• 623853-05APR08-T02a.jpg
    623853-05APR08-T02a.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 736
I planned a route that would allow me to avoid the downtown traffic lights and departed. I was able to get moving pretty easily, and was doing very well on a short section of four-lane with very little traffic. I was planning to keep it under 45 mph on the trip home, until at about 44 mph I begain to feel those first nauseating traces of a fishtailing trailer. I think the load was causing the front of the trailer to alternately dive and then tilt back, and on the back tilt there was not enough pressure on the hitch to maintain stability. I got it slowed down to 40 which felt pretty good, and decided then and there that that would be my top speed. Top speed, assuming I was on flat road, or slightly downhill. Any uphill grade at all and 40 was not attainable. Several hills I was in first gear and creeping. I pulled off the road to let other vehicles pass as often as I thought my clutch could handle it. The steep downhill grades were interesting, as 40 didn't feel so stable and I was using all the engine braking I had and still had to use the brakes to keep my speed down (the trailer had surge brakes which were definitely working, if a little bit jerky).

To make a long story short, and to prove that all's well that ends well, I did make it home without an accident, citation, or obvious truck failure. The attached photo is proof.

Attachments

• 623855-05APR08-T04a.jpg
    623855-05APR08-T04a.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 668
And one more photo of the tractor on the trailer. Notice how the backhoe didn't get to ride on the trailer with the rest of the rig.

I'd like to apologize to those of you who are safety conscious and would not have attempted such a thing. While I admit it was a bad idea that could have had unfortunate results, I do believe I was driving as safely and with as much control as possible under the circumstances. I took it very slow, and was very conservative with starts, stops, curves, hills, and other traffic. But I would not do it again.

And I have my tractor! That counts for something!

Attachments

• 623862-05APR08-T05a.jpg
    623862-05APR08-T05a.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 656
   / Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures #5  
Congratulations very nice looking machine. I will probably do the samething when I buy my new one.

/ Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures #6  
Wow, that was a tight fit. Glad all is well and I hope you have a wonderful weekend getting used to the new member of the family -- and a very nice looking member I might add.

Cliff

Thanks, and I forgot to mention the dealer gave me $50 cash since he didn't have to deliver the tractor. A nice gesture, even though I would have much preferred a quick, professional delivery.

/ Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures #8  
For future reference, I got pulled over when hauling a CAT backhoe for not having the backhoe on the deck and chained down. It's a federal requirement as of early last year. The officer explained the law requires that all hydraulic implements be lowered to the deck and chained to prevent movement. I didn't ask about the front bucket, since I didn't want to press my luck.

I only had a few miles to go so he had me lower the boom to the deck, but said I didn't need to chain it. Evidently, the law was intended to address booms moving on large equipment, but the way it was written it applies to all equipment. I have my doubts an officer would pull someone over with a compact tractor, but chaining it down would eliminate that possibility.

BTW, I would've considered the same thing if I was waiting for a machine like that to arrive /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures #9  
chatcher; Sounds like you learned a few things about dragging a load. Probably just me, but I didn't see any rear tiedowns. I just know you had some. Sometimes those rental trailers can be real treats to tow to say the least! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gifAlso sounds like a bigger truck and trailer are in your mind. I'm not trying to be critical, just reflecting on the thoughts you put in my head. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Very nice machine, I'm very BLUE with envy for that hoe. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif If you need it broke in, I'll drive over and put it on my TC. I've got some pretty big stumps to pull out this week!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures #10  
Nice looking tractor! I'm glad you got it home safely. At some future date you will probably look back on this "exercise" and laugh about it. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy your tractor this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

It's easy to second guess someone, but did you think or try backing the tractor onto the trailer? That would certainly have changed your load, maybe too much. I also thought about putting the quick-attach bucket on the front of the trailer and then disconnect from it and drive forward a few more inches with the loader arms. That might have got you 6" more. Also, the boom cylinder on the backhoe looks to be extended some. Do NH loaders not have a lock for the boom? Did the boom bleed down that much in transit? "Enquiring minds" want to know. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hope your pickup holds up after this little ordeal. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif