Detroit Big 3 to Adopt common towing standard in 2015....

/ Detroit Big 3 to Adopt common towing standard in 2015.... #1  

tcartwri

Elite Member
Tractor
CT235
The bench racing this is going to cause in the coming months will be epic.

Autonews.com Detroit-3-adopt-common-standard-for-tow-ratings

"Ford surprised competitors in 2012 when it decided not to adopt the towing standard for the 2013 model year and said it would wait for the 2015 F-150 redesign. This caused GM -- which was preparing to roll out its redesigned Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra light-duties -- to pull back marketing materials and even reprint owners' manuals.

/ Detroit Big 3 to Adopt common towing standard in 2015.... #2  
I'm anxious to see the numbers. Why isn't the larger trucks held to a standard also? I wonder why an independent group hasn't already published these numbers.

/ Detroit Big 3 to Adopt common towing standard in 2015.... #3  
Bragging rights for pick up towing capacity are a big deal in the industry. This SAE standard was created to make manufacturers justify towing capacity claims, which creep up every year.

Ironically, a manufacturer can still under estimate towing capacity at will, which they have done to push more people into pickup trucks. A classic example was the old Crown Victoria. By the time it went out of production it had been de-rated down to 1500 pounds from 5000. This for a 4000#, V8 powered body on frame vehicle.

/ Detroit Big 3 to Adopt common towing standard in 2015....
I'm anxious to see the numbers. Why isn't the larger trucks held to a standard also? I wonder why an independent group hasn't already published these numbers.

They are rated more in line with commercial style vehicles. ( Not as concerned with winning a drag race up a mountain pass.... )

/ Detroit Big 3 to Adopt common towing standard in 2015.... #5  
They are rated more in line with commercial style vehicles. ( Not as concerned with winning a drag race up a mountain pass.... )

The acceleration test is just one of the many parameters but still important because they have to do it all while keeping the temperatures in check as I recall.

The acceleration test is just one of the many parameters but still important because they have to do it all while keeping the temperatures in check as I recall.

It's only the everyday consumer who expects to be able to pull a fully loaded trailer up a 7% incline at a steady 60 mph. Granted, you know the inexperienced hauler will try to do just that.

/ Detroit Big 3 to Adopt common towing standard in 2015.... #7  
It's only the everyday consumer who expects to be able to pull a fully loaded trailer up a 7% incline at a steady 60 mph. Granted, you know the inexperienced hauler will try to do just that.

That is probably why this isn't required in the J2807 test.

They do have similar test that require certain speeds at certain grades.

/ Detroit Big 3 to Adopt common towing standard in 2015.... #8  
Maybe this would be a good forum to predict which truck and configuration will get the largest decrease in capacity. Ram and GM will be the only two who will have the same version using both calculations as Ford and Nissan will both introduce new models. Of the two, I think the Dodge Hemi's might actually increase, and the silverado's 11,500 lb claimed capacity of the 5.3 liter double cab truck will take the biggest hit.

I think they're all going to take a hit personally.

/ Detroit Big 3 to Adopt common towing standard in 2015.... #10  
Yup, a bunch of the SAE test is absolutely pointless for us flatlanders leading to internet folks telling us we are dangerously overloading our trucks because we don't have the highest hp engine option.

I don't need to go 0-60 mph in under 30 seconds at max tow. I don't need to climb a simulated Davis dam grade at 40 mph at max tow. I don't need to pretend to be in stop and go traffic up a 12% grade at max tow, especially not in reverse. I don't need those ratings to be magically slacked off because the manufacturer negotiated an exemption for duallies.

They won't even let you build a road here exceeding something like 8% grade and have only a few old 10% grades remaining. They post warning signs on short 1/2 mile 6% grades.

It wouldn't be an issue in the past because GCVWR was only a warrantee thing but more folks are trying to use it for something these days.