Dewalt Air Compressor Belt Alignment

/ Dewalt Air Compressor Belt Alignment #1  

Tractor Seabee

Elite Member
Port Orchard WA Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
Tractor
Kubota BX25
I have D55168 compressor I bought used that keeps tripping the belt off. The belt broke, bought a new one and installed. It was very difficult to get the belt to track true on the pulleys. Ran fine for approx 10 hours and then the belt ran off the pulleys destroying it. Thhis has happened twice now. No help from the closest authorized De-Walt repair org. They said they never replace a belt, only replace a factory part which includes the motor and compressor as a pre-assembled unit. Cost for that part is $250. That is what I paid fro the compressor. Not much sense in that. DeWalt does not have a tech support staff.

Has any one solved this problem before? HELP!

Ron

/ Dewalt Air Compressor Belt Alignment #2  
Use a metal straight edge, such as a square or level, and place the straight edge along the outer edges of the two pulleys simultaneously. If its correctly aligned, the straight edge should touch both pulleys at two points at the same time. Meaning you should have 4 points of contact at the same time; two on one pulley, and two on the other. If you don't, you'll have to move one pulley in or out until both pulleys are aligned in the same plane. Make sure you have sufficient belt tension also. Good luck!

/ Dewalt Air Compressor Belt Alignment
Use a metal straight edge, such as a square or level, and place the straight edge along the outer edges of the two pulleys simultaneously. If its correctly aligned, the straight edge should touch both pulleys at two points at the same time. Meaning you should have 4 points of contact at the same time; two on one pulley, and two on the other. If you don't, you'll have to move one pulley in or out until both pulleys are aligned in the same plane. Make sure you have sufficient belt tension also. Good luck!

Thanks Wood. Amazing the things we slip up on as we get old. Based on my service tech background I should have done that automatically. I now need more reminders. The throwaway society has eliminated manufacturer tech support. Relegated us all to just go buy a new one even for big ticket stuff.

Ron

/ Dewalt Air Compressor Belt Alignment #4  
Anytime! I often find myself googling things I've done many years ago, just can't remember how I did it the first time! LOL!