Did my first weld cold turkey

/ Did my first weld cold turkey #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
I bought a used flexwing mower. It did not have a jack stand mounted to it.....so when it was at my local fabrication shop getting fitted for the PTO speed increaser, I had them weld on a jack stand.

Over that winter, the jack stand snapped and once again I was without the ability to easily mount/dismount the mower (I have to bring the backhoe in to hold mower at height while I back up to mount it to the drawbar)

Was going to try when I had a welder sitting outside for other purposes (diesel powered Miller) BUT, I didn't have the helmet nor tools.... then my brother in law sold his welder so it was gone.

Nearly a year goes by and my other brother in law (those two are brothers) came to visit this weekend. Knowing that he's able to weld, asked if he'd bring his welder, and he did.

They lost everything they had when Katrina hit so he's replaced his welder with a cheapo, 120 volt unit.

He welded the mount onto the arm of the mower while I was heating it from the backside with my MAP gas torch with my eyes closed.

We've got it on and so far, no idea if it works....or will last. I had a second mounting part that I was going to mount to the mower sections so I can take the jack off and put it on the mower section. He was getting ready to weld it when I realized I've never touched a welder.....(it was a MIG with the solder core)

So I blurted out if I could do it and he direct me. He was happy to let me get spattered.

Got it on. His comments were it "sounded" right as it was being welded. I pushed the wire a couple times rather than pulled it.... got done......and the jack wouldn't fit.

Some dumbazz oaf put the mount on upside down. Oops.

Out came the grinder and I ground it down.... then had to grind the mount down so it would fit on the stand. Got it all cleaned up and did it again.

So far, over night, without any pressure.....the jack stand is mounted to the mower deck (not holding any weight)

HA!

I'm about 50/50 if it will work. If not, it's not horrific. But it was kind of cool doing my first weld cold turkey.

Oh, and the cheapo welder.... trigger wouldn't work. Took trigger apart to check continuity and it was fine. Problem was in the feeder.

Long story short, the feeder would NOT work UNLESS the side was unscrewed, the entire unit was laying on ITS side (specifically the right verses left) AND we had something under the lid of it to torque the frame.

My guess is something in there either has a bad connection or is shorting out on the feeder control.

Still, for the cheapo welder he tells me it is, we may have gotten the job done. In spite of him having a dumbazz helper!!

:unsure:

/ Did my first weld cold turkey #2  
That wasn't cold turkey. Cold turkey is quitting.

What you did there was called introduction.
That's followed by experimentation and recreational use.
Then you might develop a serious problem. ;)

In all seriousness, it felt good, didn't it! (y)

/ Did my first weld cold turkey #3  
you can never have just one welder. and i bypass all cheap welders. i dont spend fortunes, but i will skip cheap chinese ones and harbor freight . i really want a new Millermatic 350P unit, but i fear the wife will kill me if it shows up in my shop.

/ Did my first weld cold turkey #4  
I bought a Sears AC/DC arc welder when I was 18. I still have it and use it.
I bought an acetylene torch when I was 19. I still have it and use it.
I bought a Hobart 120V flux-core/mig welder about 10-15 years ago. I use that the most.

/ Did my first weld cold turkey #5  
I bought a Sears AC/DC arc welder when I was 18. I still have it and use it.
I bought an acetylene torch when I was 19. I still have it and use it.
I bought a Hobart 120V flux-core/mig welder about 10-15 years ago. I use that the most.
Since you still have that torch and regulators you might consider a refurbish.
I have a Smith 2 stage aircraft (size) set that I bought new 45 years ago.
I read an article about oxy/acy danger, and as a result just had mine refurbished.
Parts were apparently replaced.

I also have a new Hobart Handler (220v) 190 MIG, and a 50 year old Miller 220v AC/DC buzz box.

/ Did my first weld cold turkey #6  
Since you still have that torch and regulators you might consider a refurbish.
I have a Smith 2 stage aircraft (size) set that I bought new 45 years ago.
I read an article about oxy/acy danger, and as a result just had mine refurbished.
Parts were apparently replaced.

I also have a new Hobart Handler (220v) 190 MIG, and a 50 year old Miller 220v AC/DC buzz box.
Yes, my original regulators were replaced after a few decades. What I should have said is that I've always maintained the torch set, as it's so handy to have around.

/ Did my first weld cold turkey
His face shield would flicker on/off. He said he thought it was the way we were situated. We had the late morning sun at our back so the sun would try to illuminate the inside of the mask. Once the weld started the mask worked like it should so there weren't any issues to be concerned about.

Yeah, it was kind of cool doing it (even if I'm less than 100% confident that they'll stick long term).

/ Did my first weld cold turkey #8  
I agree about some better equipment. It will payback fast. Get a 200 class mig first thing.

/ Did my first weld cold turkey #9  
Since I bought a 220 volt 200 amp wire welder the ac/dc stick mostly sit's in the corner. I was never able to get suffecient penitration on anything thicker than 10 guage with 120 volt machines. I have aquaintences that stack dimes with their 120 volt welders using gas but I don't trust their welds.

/ Did my first weld cold turkey #10  
It used to be buy a buzz box and start with stick, now it seems to be a 110 V flux core MIG. If a local vocational school offers an introductory adult ed welding course, I suggest you take it. It will likely cost a few hundred dollars, but in my opinion, is money well spent. You will get some practice time with an instructor and be less likely to start up with bad habits, and you will have some idea of the equipment that is out there. Some of the equipment will be too sophisticated and expensive for you to consider, but there will likely be a bank of small, serviceable, MIG machines (at my local vo-tech they are Lincoln 230V 180A), and the fact that the school uses them for novice/minimally experienced weldors is a pretty good endorsement.