Diesel fuel and cold weather

/ Diesel fuel and cold weather #1  

whiterose

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B6100
I understand diesel fuel number 1 will allow it to be used to a colder temperature than number 2.

I think it will still be liquid down to about -23 Fahrenheit.

In central Oregon in a hard winter and probably most winters it can easily get down below this.

I'd like to know what members do with their diesel tractors in winter?

Keep the machines indoors in a garage or other place or outside with some heating. Or is it not a problem?

Thanks guys.

Dennis.

/ Diesel fuel and cold weather #2  
IN Colorado I get by on number 1 fuel, my tractors are normally out side, do need an engine heater to start, plug in a few hours before I need to start it, if really cold I will trap the tractor to block the wind and trap more of the heat, park the filter and injector side of the engine so the sun hits it.

there are also additives that will help reduce the possibility of gelling, many around here will run a mix of 1 and 2 for the winter, and get by that way, we can get to -30 here not often but can, when it starts to get -15, I will usually park in the shop, as much for the for the wind than the cold, if it is that cold and wind the heater can not keep up.

I use power service for an additive.

/ Diesel fuel and cold weather #3  
Greetings!
#2 ULSD fuel has a cloud point of 5F-8F
Cloud point is where the parifin(wax)in the fuel can separate from the fuel and clog the filter,a situation you will wish to avoid!
In these parts,#1 and kerosene are the same thing,with a cloud point of -40F,although the kerosene offers less lubricity than desired for your fuel injection system.
The most common approach is to blend 20-40% #1 with #2 and supplement with an anti-gel additive like Power Service white bottle or Howes Diesel Treat,etc.
Your local fuel supplier will most likely offer the correct blend for your location and season.
You mention temperatures lower than -23F
Fuel suppliers really try not to blend with #1 because of the increased cost and treat with their own favorite additive.
That may be OK,but at -30F fuel filter clogged no starts are very common.
When it's gets super cold,the only way to avoid fuel filter plugging is to reduce the paraffin content of the fuel by using kerosene.
Indoor storage helps a lot!
Post back with more questions.
Good Luck!

/ Diesel fuel and cold weather #4  
We go to winter blend. It's #2 diesel cut with #1. I add Howse to my fuel. No problems in 16 years.

Chris

/ Diesel fuel and cold weather #5  
Power Service in the white bottle is a good choice for year round treatment. If you are concerned about gelling keep a bottle of Rescue 911 on hand.
I never trust the supplier to switch over from #2 to #1 timely. Also, #1 does not provide adequate lubrication so a supplement is needed.

Filter your fuel yourself. I use a supplier that moves a lot of diesel but still find crud in the filter funnel when I pour into the tank.

/ Diesel fuel and cold weather #6  
I understand diesel fuel number 1 will allow it to be used to a colder temperature than number 2.

I think it will still be liquid down to about -23 Fahrenheit.

In central Oregon in a hard winter and probably most winters it can easily get down below this.

I'd like to know what members do with their diesel tractors in winter?

Keep the machines indoors in a garage or other place or outside with some heating. Or is it not a problem?

Thanks guys.

Dennis.

RACOR diesel fuel filters work wonders, A kerosene torpedo heater is a wonderful
tool as it warms up the entire tractor.

You can also cut your diesel fuel with gasoline safely as many folks do in other countries,
you just need to be sure of the gas to diesel ratio for the mix to use in your mule.

Its been so long I do not remember what the gasoline to diesel ratio is per gallon for winter use.

/ Diesel fuel and cold weather
RACOR diesel fuel filters work wonders, A kerosene torpedo heater is a wonderful
tool as it warms up the entire tractor.

You can also cut your diesel fuel with gasoline safely as many folks do in other countries,
you just need to be sure of the gas to diesel ratio for the mix to use in your mule.

Its been so long I do not remember what the gasoline to diesel ratio is per gallon for winter use.

Thank you leoz.

Good advice there. Like the heater idea and indeed all your advice.

Made some notes to keep.

Dennis - whiterose.

Thanks Dave1708

Made a note about the Power Service treatment. Not heard of that before. But I am very new to tractors and diesels. Rescue 911, that's a new thing on me too. Does it go in the fuel or more like the ether stuff you start gas engines with?
Do most people get their diesel from a supplier other than a regular gas station for cars and mix their own? Is it off road fuel for agriculture/farms. Just shows the little I know!

Thanks your quick reply Chris.

What is Howes? Do you mix your own diesel. Where is it from if not a regular gas station?

Dennis- whiterose

Thank you Number two for your speedy reply.

Interesting that kerosene and #1 are the same. And -40F ( also -40 C ) is really cold. That seems ideal.
Do you get your diesel from a place other than a regular gas station then mix it yourself?

Well my tractor is a wee compact one so it will go in the garage luckily. That with your other advice should sort things out.

Dennis- whiterose.