Diesel Fuel Can

/ Diesel Fuel Can #1  

BoneheadNW

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610
I have searched past posts and the internet to the best of my ability and have not been able to determine if fuel cans containing diesel are required to be <font color="yellow"> yellow </font>. Does anyone know the answer to this (possibly) dumb question?

Bonehead

/ Diesel Fuel Can #2  
Not a dumb question at all. I don't personally know of any law requiring yellow cans for diesel, although some states may have such without my knowledge. When I was using a 5 gallon container, I was using a red one because that was what I had and I hadn't seen any yellow ones in the local stores at that time. The red one I used was a different brand and shape from the 5 gallon red can I used for gasoline, and I labelled the diesel can in big letters on both sides. I would still prefer yellow and if I were buying a new can, I'd look for a yellow one. No one ever questioned my use of a red can, but of course, I bought my fuel then at self serve places. Then when I went to a 55 gallon drum, it was blue because that was what I got free. And I had that filled at a wholesale fuel distributor and no one there ever questioned the color.

/ Diesel Fuel Can #3  
Actually the rules depend upon if you are a business or not. In order for the DOT to consider something a hazardous material it must be "in commerce". OSHA rules only apply to businesses as well. Once you buy it for your personal use there are no rules that I know about. If you are buying for a business, well that's a whole different story. You can keep your diesel or gasoline in a Dixie cup if you want to (however would advise against it). Storing anything but clean kerosene in a blue can is not a good idea because someone may use it in an indoor heater, but there's no law that I know about against it. I guess if I had a blue diesel can I would write "Diesel" on it and not loose and sleep over it.

/ Diesel Fuel Can
Thanks for the replies. I wanted to get a 5 gallon steel jerry can (see link below) that I can use for the tractor and also carry on the back of our diesel van during trips. The yellow metal jerry cans have a different spout configuration that looks a bit on the shlocko side.

Bonehead

Red Metal Jerry Can

/ Diesel Fuel Can #5  
Bonehead,
In PA, there is a requirement that you use red for gas, yellow for diesel, blue for kerosene. Most gas stations don't enforce or catch it. One guy said he only worried about blue ones.

I was stopped 3 or 4 times from putting diesel or kerosene in a red can, so I went and bought the appropriate colors.

Have a good one,
Neil.

/ Diesel Fuel Can #6  
I agree 100% The problem with the gas laws is enforcement. Never had any issues with can, leaving car running etc.

Same thing with propane tanks.

/ Diesel Fuel Can #7  
Are you sure that's a law and not just a policy of the gas station? I did some Internet searches and could find no such law.

/ Diesel Fuel Can #8  
Well, several (more than 3) gas stations have enforced it upon me.... I'll check for the statute the next time I fill up.

Neil.

/ Diesel Fuel Can #9  
Having the 3 colors (I use blue for diesel) just makes good sense, but also may come from the Fire Dept. rules.

I think it is at least a state regulation in this state, and doubt most station attendants could care less what you pump gas or diesel fuel into. I see there are more yellow containers now on the shelves, where it used to be only red with a few blue ones.

I did read recently that diesel should not be put in galvanized containers. Diesel fuel stored in galvanized containers reacts with zinc coating to form zinc flakes, and can form a zinc gel, which will quickly clog fuel filters and damage injectors and pumps. So best to use plastic, yellow as I see it.

/ Diesel Fuel Can #10  
i agree with the other posts. i don't really think it's a bona-fide law at least in pa. i have 10 red (gas) cans i have collected thru the years. best to hang onto the old cans. those new ones the make are a real pain in the butt to use. real pain to fill a weed trimmer, you gotta push down on the valve nozzle in order for it to work. i bought a new yellow can for diesel, and the filler opening is too small for the larger fuel nozzles to fit in at the truck stops. i hear all the plastic fuel cans are by law going to this push type system.
wish they would of left well enough alone...the funnel still comes in handy.. hang on to the old fuel cans.. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif