Diesel Gator Overheat

/ Diesel Gator Overheat #1  

jturpin

I am looking at a diesel gator old style 6x4. The owner doesn't know how old is it? When did they start making the diesel gators? Main question is he said that it is overheating. The dealership told him that the belts were slipping. He got another gator and parked this one. Could this really be all that it is? Sounds like a waterpump to me! He wants $2000 what do y'all think?

Thanks,
JT in NC

/ Diesel Gator Overheat #2  
I think if the problem is just a belt slipping, why didn't the dealer want it as a trade-in for the new one? How many hours are on it? If there are less than 1000 then it may be worth the risk.

/ Diesel Gator Overheat #3  
mine is a '97 with a sn last digits of 38xx.

If the fan belt is snug check the electric fan operation itself, the fuse may have blown. These things are bullet proof so look for something simple.

/ Diesel Gator Overheat
Thanks, for the help! I been driving it all day today with no problems. The belt slipping is the clutch drive belt. He said that was what got hot not the engine. I believe that it may need a clutch, because ,it takes off slow like it is slipping. Is there a good way to tell? How can you tell between primary and secondary clutch problems?

Thanks,
JT

/ Diesel Gator Overheat #5  
You probably need to blow the dust out of the clutch cover. Easiest way is to remove the left rear wheel and remove the bolts holding the cover over the small pulley and clutch. Blow out the dust around the clutch and wipe out the cover. You can also check the condition of the ends of the clutch, they can be replaced. Get a manual for the Gator; it'll show you all kinds of work you can do on it.

/ Diesel Gator Overheat #6  
JT,

Has the belt been replaced recently? If not, try replacing that. The belt does wear and when it does you will see the symptoms you are describing. I would hate to see you start replacing expensive items without first replacing the item the is designed to wear. Also, if you don't have a manual you should get one from a dealer. As I recall there is regular maintenance to the clutch and/or secondary drive listed there.

dsb

/ Diesel Gator Overheat
Thanks for all the help. I had everything adjusted and tighten Monday and put new seats on it. It runs like a champ and no problems so far! I like my old AMT600, but this thing sure is allot easier to operate.

JT in NC