Diesel Newbie - Algae Issue?

/ Diesel Newbie - Algae Issue? #1  

cold1313

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M4D-071 Kubota F3990
I have 2 Kubotas, both don't get many hours a year, one gets more hours because it is my lawn mower. Both diesels. I fill with (4), 5 gallon jugs from the gas station and put stanadyne in every 5 gallon jug. I get 20 gallons when I run out, then refill them all when needed, etc.

Neither tractor got much run time this year since it was dry and the mower went 4-5+ weeks at a time without use.

I filled the mower up to the top about a month ago or more. I just ran it to get the last cut, clean the deck, oil etc.

I went to top it off with fuel after I was all done and looked in the tank with my flashlight and the fuel looked blue. (eventually saw both tractors looked this way)

I was able to get a little fuel out of the tank into a clear jug (I mean a few ounces). It is a yellow'ish / green. I immediately thought algae...I don't know anything about algae in diesel and I'm pretty OCD.

I poured some fuel into another clear jug from one of my 5 gallon jugs. It was about the same color...MAYBE a little more yellow. That made me feel a bit better but I wanted to see what everyone thought here.

Fuel filter on the lawn mower is white so I can't see. The other one shows a clean fuel filter.

I'm hoping it is just my OCD - especially since I get it from the pump and add stanadyne to every jug. None of the fuel is over a year, probably less than 6 months old. Everything is stored in a barn.

Am I likely just driving myself crazy but thought I should check and see what you guys think. I keep everything clean and with my OCD (i.e. engineer) tendencies, but rather be safe than sorry.

/ Diesel Newbie - Algae Issue? #2  
I would try and find out if it is "Bio-Diesel" that you purchased.If so you may want to add an algaecide
I always use Powerservice in all my "Dino" diesel.Powe Service is not a algaecide but a centane booster and water remover.

/ Diesel Newbie - Algae Issue?
No bio-diesel. It surprisingly isn't very popular around here. All farming around here, so I'm guessing they know not to mess with that junk

/ Diesel Newbie - Algae Issue? #4  
Biobor Jf Fuel Additives - Products

Use this product per label directions to clear the algae and then as an ongoing preventative. Note one 16oz bottle treats over 1200 gallons so 16oz will last your lifetime.

/ Diesel Newbie - Algae Issue? #5  
Actually, sounds like normal fuel to me. Look into the tank in daylight and it looks blue, in a clear container, it looks yellow/green. Algae will be a black growth or mat on your filter. Algae will grow at the water fuel interface. It breaks up and disperses into the fuel. If you don't have any free water, the algae isn't a usual problem.

I'm hoping that the blue'ish tint from the LED flashlight caused the blue look inside the black plastic fuel tank.

That's why I went to clear bottles.

So does it sound like my fuel is good to go and sit for the winter? The Stanadyne is supposed to help remove water, doesn't say anything about algae.

I didn't know what an algae issue would look like to be honest. I was just going by color. It's still has a yellow to it. I asked my wife what color it was (knowing she didn't know why I was asking) and she said yellow. So maybe a slight hint of green. I guess I could toss in more Stanadyne in the fuel tanks but I don't know if more is better?

So does it sound like everything is okay?

Add an extra dose of Stanadyne to the tractor tank since it's going into storage? Or leave it be?

/ Diesel Newbie - Algae Issue? #8  
Read up on the Biobor. It can be used to treat a problem and as a maintenance product. The only way to know what you have for sure is to have a lab analyze the fuel. But spending $25 bucks on a product that you know will treat and maintain your fuel is the way I would and do go. Biobor also has a product that helps in cold weather, helps with moisture and increases the time the fuel can be stored.
I have no interest in Biobor but I have done research on these products for a large scale project in my professional life. The same stuff is used in the aviation industry, has been around since the 1960s and is MILSPECed.

I would use the stuff and sleep well knowing the algae is gone (if you had any) and the fuel will be fine this winter.

/ Diesel Newbie - Algae Issue? #9  
So does it sound like everything is okay?

Add an extra dose of Stanadyne to the tractor tank since it's going into storage? Or leave it be?

In my opinion, leave it be. The fuel (on road diesel) is a yellowish/greenish color. Off road diesel is red. Algae in your diesel fuel is black. You are worried about nothing. Tractor on..

/ Diesel Newbie - Algae Issue? #10  
. Biobor also has a product that helps in cold weather, helps with moisture and increases the time the fuel can be stored.
QUOTE]Diesel can be stored for many years without any problems as long as it is kept dry. Why would anyone want to pay for something that supposedly increases storage time when it will last 50+ years in as refined state. I have been using diesel in tractors for over 50 years and never had to use any additives in the fuel. Not using it in frozen north so no issue with gelling but when I worked in northern Alberta Canada, none of the diesel used there had additives other than winter blend fuel being used. I never saw or heard of one of the big mine trucks gelled up and they ran 24/7 in up to -45C temps.