Oil & Fuel Diesel on 1430

/ Diesel on 1430 #1  

menchhofer

Silver Member
My 1430 engine has been acting strange lately. It will start okay, but after about 5 minutes it acts as if it either has no power or is not getting fuel. I changed the fuel filter and this helped for about 10 minutes. The engine takes off fine, but the rpms lessen no matter how much throttle it is given...and it eventually dies. When I try to start it again..it will start but only idle and again die. However, after it sits for about 10 minutes it will start right up again and go through the whole deal again.

I have also checked the small filter in the fuel pump. It was clean. Took the hose off the fuel pump coming from the tank and hardly any fuel comes out tank is higher than pump so I thought gravity should draw the fuel out of the tank...only a very small stream if anything. Put the hose back on the pump and it started right up but to only going through the sputtering again.

On my machine, the tank hose goes to the fuel pump...out to the filter and back to the engine.

Anyone smarter than me have any suggestions?

/ Diesel on 1430 #2  
Sounds like crude in the fuel tank. How old is your 1430? I have not had this problem with mine with 500 hrs. but there were discussions by some that had stuff in the tank right from the factory. Also make sure the filler cap is venting and not creating a vacume in the tank.

/ Diesel on 1430 #3  
I agree with the previous post--very likely it is crude in the tank that is blocking the outlet or has gotten into the hose and restricting flow in the hose. I removed a fair amount of crud in the tank of my 1845 by using a magnet.

/ Diesel on 1430
I have looked inside the tank just the other day. Did not see anything out of the ordinary. But I do believe the fuel should flow out of the tubing at the bottom of the tank.

Even though I do not see any crude in the tank, I will drain it and install fresh fuel. What is the best method of cleaning the inside of the tank? Rinse with water....gas.... and dry?

On second thought, I could blow out the fuel line to determine if there are any small particles clogging the outlet fitting.

My 1430 is about 3 years old and only 300 hrs.

/ Diesel on 1430 #5  
I'll second your second thought! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Just thought I'd add (even though I'm sure that's what you have in mind), it'd be worth disconnecting it first so it doesn't get into the tank only to sneak back in the line.

Good Luck!

/ Diesel on 1430 #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have looked inside the tank just the other day. Did not see anything out of the ordinary. But I do believe the fuel should flow out of the tubing at the bottom of the tank.

Even though I do not see any crude in the tank, I will drain it and install fresh fuel. What is the best method of cleaning the inside of the tank? Rinse with water....gas.... and dry?

On second thought, I could blow out the fuel line to determine if there are any small particles clogging the outlet fitting.

My 1430 is about 3 years old and only 300 hrs. )</font>

I would try the easiest first. Run the tractor with the filler cap not screwed down tight. I can't tell you how many times I've worked on a piece of equipment for hours before remembering to check for the stupid plugged vent. I'll probably forget next time too.

/ Diesel on 1430 #7  
In addition to "hard" crud such as scale, weld slag, dirt, etc, diesel also grows algae-like bacteria that can form a bio-mass that will clog fuel screens & filters. It is a b*tch to clean out, but several of the diesel additives claim to help prevent it from forming. It can form in jerry cans as well as the tractor fuel tank.

Good Luck

/ Diesel on 1430 #8  
I always used Biobor JF in my boat after I found out about "algae" growth the hard way. I spent a small fortune in filters getting it all out. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Diesel on 1430
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I always used Biobor JF in my boat after I found out about "algae" growth the hard way. I spent a small fortune in filters getting it all out. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif )</font>

What is the biobor JF? An additive? If so, where can one purchase it?

I will try every suggestion and see what happens....thanks

/ Diesel on 1430 #10  
Biobor JF is described in detail here . I used to purchase it at marine supply stores such as Boat/US or West Marine, or at a marina, but I'm sure it is available from other sources.