Diesel Running Backwards

/ Diesel Running Backwards #1  

JackinVT

Tractor
Kubota
So I discovered something I was unaware of and just wondered if this was common knowledge. When using my logging winch, and bogging it down to the point of almost stalling, the engine would start running very oddly. After shutting it down I noticed the cable was unwound and tangled inside the winch. This happened twice before I discovered why. Apparently the engine under stalling conditions can start to run backwards, taking air in from from the exhaust and exhausting through the air intake, not a good condition for the engine. And in the process running my winch backwards and tangling up the cable. Anyway, now I'm more careful about how I run it with the winch. So is this common knowledge that I somehow previously just missed?

/ Diesel Running Backwards #2  
As a young man I raced motocross professionally. We had large crowds at pro events. I provided some excellent entertainment one day when I fell in alarge mudpuddle. People were getting a good laugh about me covered with mud!. I started my bike up and dumped the clutch to find out it started backwards. My bike pushed me back through the mud and I crashed again totally inundated in the mud.
The fans were all laughing hysterically.

I've never had it happen on a diesel but on that 2-stroke bike it ran perfectly!

/ Diesel Running Backwards #3  
Yes, my diesel tractor ran backwards briefly (less than 30 seconds) without damaging the tractor. Main concern is that the oil pump does not work good in reverse.

Here are some details:

/ Diesel Running Backwards #4  
To save money I’ll let my tractor engine run backwards for 8 hours as it pulls CO2 out of the air through the exhaust stack and refills the tank with diesel by the end of the day! It can’t be bad for the tractor cause the hour meter says it’s getting newer and newer!
….say, anybody want to buy a bridge?

/ Diesel Running Backwards #5  
I've heard of 2 stroke motorcycles running backwards, but never saw it. I hope my tractors never do.

/ Diesel Running Backwards #6  
To save money I’ll let my tractor engine run backwards for 8 hours as it pulls CO2 out of the air through the exhaust stack and refills the tank with diesel by the end of the day! It can’t be bad for the tractor cause the hour meter says it’s getting newer and newer!
….say, anybody want to buy a bridge?

All right, Bueller...

/ Diesel Running Backwards #7  
If you have a direct gear drive you can turn your crank any direction you want. The engine is not really going to enjoy being unbalanced in a non-interference engine (the mass starts rotation in the wrong direction).

You may want to consider a different pto connection, either a hydraulic adapter if you do not have a hydraulic drive, or some type of latch (seems odd that yours does not have one or has it been defeated?).

The latch is important, especially if something breaks and the windup comes flying towards you. Or in the case of your engine on a direct drive a heavy snap back starts to cause gears to explode.

/ Diesel Running Backwards #8  
Old golf cars with 2-stroke engines were made to run backwards as that was how they achieved reverse gear. They did have 2 different sets of points to handle the different timing needed.

/ Diesel Running Backwards #9  
Old golf cars with 2-stroke engines were made to run backwards as that was how they achieved reverse gear. They did have 2 different sets of points to handle the different timing needed.
Had an old Lincoln snowmobile that was that way.