Buying Advice Diesel smog emission stuff?

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #51  
Well, that does sound like a good idea, except that the closest Kioti dealer to me that will likely get my business offers a free lifetime drivetrain warranty. Which I am sure putting a turbo into the mix would be the end of that warranty coverage.

I saw that! Do they require you to bring it in for service there? Have you looked into the details?

I've never seen a lifetime warranty on a tractor; cars and trucks, absolutely, but never a tractor.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #52  
New Holland Workmaster 50, 60, 70 hp (same motor just more fuel) has automatic emission that takes care of itself. You never know when it occurs and you don't have to do anything. I am sure they must have smaller tractors that do the same.

The compacts are heading in that direction, but for the moment they're still using DPF.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #53  
Posters on here appear to be infatuated with horsepower. I'm not, what I look at is, because it is a 4 stroke diesel engine, I look at advertised torque and torque rise in the operating range first and then horsepower. Torque is what gets the job done efficiently with a diesel tractor, but then 39 years of driving big trucks with big Cats with huge torque numbers and stellar torque rise numbers was paramount for me and still is.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #54  
Once again, start up aside, this has not been my experience with the Turbocharged L2501
I have zero interest in your what I consider a useless for my application tractor and I would have never did what you did in the first place. In fact I tend to not even read your comments other than to scratch my head in wonderment why you dropped all that jack doing something when all you had to do was upgrade to a larger unit.

Obviously you are either flush with money or like to fiddle, neither of which trips my trigger. I much prefer investing my money in things that make me more money, not it things that deplete my money with no tangible results.

Far as turbocharging goes, both my engines were designed by Kubota from the ground up for turbocharging as well as charge air cooling. No add on's required or warranted.

The more one fiddles with an engine trying to extract more power, the less reliable they become and the shorter the working without issues lifespan becomes. I find your modifications to be without merit, especially when you can upgrade in power and torque by just buying a larger unit. It's not a race car, it's a small tractor.

I'll leave it at that.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #55  
All my tractors are well over 50 hp and none are smog equipped. I like my equipment to work dependably. I have less time to get things done as I get older. I restore as needed to avoid new more expensive units. If I were to buy a different car or truck I would be searching for older non computer versions.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #56  
Posters on here appear to be infatuated with horsepower. I'm not, what I look at is, because it is a 4 stroke diesel engine, I look at advertised torque and torque rise in the operating range first and then horsepower. Torque is what gets the job done efficiently with a diesel tractor, but then 39 years of driving big trucks with big Cats with huge torque numbers and stellar torque rise numbers was paramount for me and still is.

Work: The energy transferred to some weight by a force (torque) to move that weight some distance.

So you're kind of right, torque gets the job done. But how long is it going to take, an hour or all day?

Well once you care about time then you have the definition of Power.

Power: The energy transferred per unit of time. If you have all the time in the world then you can just care about torque. If you want to know how quickly the work can be done then you care about power.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #57  
Work: The energy transferred to some weight by a force (torque) to move that weight some distance.

So you're kind of right, torque gets the job done. But how long is it going to take, an hour or all day?

Well once you care about time then you have the definition of Power.

Power: The energy transferred per unit of time. If you have all the time in the world then you can just care about torque. If you want to know how quickly the work can be done then you care about power.
Easy now. Don't be messing up perfectly good opinions with facts and definitions. :)

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #58  
I have zero interest in your what I consider a useless for my application tractor and I would have never did what you did in the first place. In fact I tend to not even read your comments other than to scratch my head in wonderment why you dropped all that jack doing something when all you had to do was upgrade to a larger unit.

Obviously you are either flush with money or like to fiddle, neither of which trips my trigger. I much prefer investing my money in things that make me more money, not it things that deplete my money with no tangible results.

Far as turbocharging goes, both my engines were designed by Kubota from the ground up for turbocharging as well as charge air cooling. No add on's required or warranted.

The more one fiddles with an engine trying to extract more power, the less reliable they become and the shorter the working without issues lifespan becomes. I find your modifications to be without merit, especially when you can upgrade in power and torque by just buying a larger unit. It's not a race car, it's a small tractor.

I'll leave it at that.

I’ll continue you to allow yourself to scratch your head.

Upgrading to more power within the Kubota Standard L lineup makes zero sense when I could simply Turbocharge my L2501. Why? Well, the Turbo Kit is cheaper than ‘upgrading’ to either the L3901 or L3902. Including the cost of the Turbo Kit, I’m saving roughly $2,234 over the L3901 and $4,487 over the L3902. And, I have more power and torque! And, I don’t have Regens or DPF!

Sure, some folks are fixed on buying only OEM tractors and equipment and some folks need a warranty. Adding a turbocharger to an N/A tractor as an alternative, is for those other guys that see and understand the benefits.

It’s really simple math. I’m sorry you don’t understand it.

Mike

Last edited:
   / Diesel smog emission stuff? #59  
If I understand correctly, the 3301 and 3901 are just turbo/tuned versions of the 2501. No?

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #60  
If I understand correctly, the 3301 and 3901 are just turbo/tuned versions of the 2501. No?
No. They are both N/A tractors (completely different engine than L2501). However, both do share the same engine but, the L3901 is ‘tuned’ to have more fuel, resulting in the power increase over the L3301.

Mike