Difference between a JD 970 and a JD 990

/ Difference between a JD 970 and a JD 990 #1  

Keoke

Gold Member
Tractor
JD-970
Hi folks, other then more horse power, is there any difference between a JD 970 and a JD 990 tractor?
Also, will the power beyond hydraulic kit (back hoe tap off) made for the 990 fit the 970 and 1070?

thanks again,

/ Difference between a JD 970 and a JD 990 #2  
They are quite different in physical size. I don't recall the details any longer but you'll know instantly which one you're on just by the size. Ironically, I think they share the same sheet metal, at least the hood. Underpinnings and tires are all larger on the 990 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Difference between a JD 970 and a JD 990
Hi Rob, are you looking at the 970 and not the 790 tractor for a comparsion to the 990? Other then tire size & hsp, the 970 and 990 look real close to me. But then again, I don't always see straight.

cheers,

/ Difference between a JD 970 and a JD 990 #4  
The 970 is a direct predecessor to the 990 as the 770 preceded the 790. The 970/990 is a larger "frame" machine than the 770/790. The way I tell from a distance is the 790 has rounded ROPS upper corners and the 990 has butt joints where the verticals extend slightly above the horizontal bar. Side-by-side, you'd easily see that the 990 is larger. As I mentioned before, I believe they share some common hood sheetmetal but that's probably it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OK, MAJOR blonde moment on my part (I qualify). Now I see you were asking about a 970 versus 990 and not a 790 versus 990. I do not know the differences between the two, but I suspect it's as you noted... hp /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Difference between a JD 970 and a JD 990 #5  
The 970 is a remnant of the 950. Main difference is the 70 series has a more streamlined look because their hoods had an extension downward to cover the engines. The 50 series had an exposed side so you could see most of the motor. The 970 had an approximate length of 122" and with 4wd weighed about 3100 pounds. It came with 12.4-28 rears .The 990 is 123" long and weighs about 3300 w/4wd. It comes with 14.9-24's at the rear. They are similar more than they are different and I'm not sure what they share cosmetically. Both carry the same amount of diesel. The pump is at 2030 psi on the 970 and 2262 psi for the 990. The 970 had 8 forward and 2 reverse while the 990 has 9 forward and 3 reverse and has planetary gears while the 970 has sliding gears. Planetary final drives last longer. Both have the desirable Yanmar engine which some think is the king of engines in the compact tractor world. I do not know the answer to your last question

Arrow, my 970 has a full synchro 9 speeds forward and 3 reverse speeds transmission with a planetery final drive.
The OEM rear tires were 13.6X24 inch rear and 7X16 fronts.
It is possible that they sold a 970 with a non-synchro 8 speed box? Have not seen a 970 next to a 990 but have seen a 990 at a dealer and it look to be a close match to my 970.
Any idea if the "Power Beyond Kit" from the 990 will fit the 970?

cheers,

/ Difference between a JD 970 and a JD 990 #7  
I installed the power beyond kit on my 990 and if I remember correctly, it is the same kit for the 970 and 1070. There is an extra pre-bent hydraulic tube that I didn't use because it was for the other tractors. It was relatively painless to install, but is a bit fiddly to get one of the steel hydraulic lines routed into place. Now all I need to do is mount the 5-valve bank I've got and add a bunch of remotes to actually make use of the P.B. ...

Brad, can you give us the part number, cost and dealer that you purchased your power beyond kit from?
I plumbed my power beyond kit with hydraulic hose but now am thinking of using the factory kit for a cleaner look. I also plumbed in a three point tip and tilt valve kit at the same time with hydraulic hose as well.
I run a trencher as well as the backhoe from my home made power beyond setup.

thanks,

/ Difference between a JD 970 and a JD 990 #9  
The part number for the kit is BM18010. I double checked the installation manual that came with it and it is intended for the 870, 970 and 1070. In fact, the 990 isn't even mentioned. I think the kit existed before the 990 and John Deere have just included another steel hydraulic line in the kit to fit the 990.

I paid $300 CAD just over a year ago and bought it from a dealer called Deerland Farm Equipment in Fort Saskatewan, Alberta (just north east of Edmonton). I suspect you might be able to find a dealer a little closer to you, however /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Installation involves removing the existing steel line that connects the high pressure feed on the side of the transmission to the loader SCV. You replace that line with two others - one from the pressure feed to one rear quick coupler and another from the SCV to the other rear quick coupler. Basically the P.B. kit just intercepts the high pressure feed going to the loader SCV and brings the loop out back. When not using a backhoe or whatever, there is a short length of hydraulic hose to complete the loop.

For anyone reading this who doesn't already know, whatever you plumb into the P.B. connections MUST be able to withstand the machine's full hydraulic pressure even on it's "return" connection. This means using a power-beyond capable valve block and using the P.B. return connection rather than the low pressure return-to-tank connection that is also present on many valves. The reason is that with the P.B. connections upstream of the loader valve, when you use the loader the P.B. stuff sees whatever pressure is being used to operate the loader.
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Difference between a JD 970 and a JD 990 #10  
In the early 90's, I purchased a 970. One month later, the dealership went out of business. My 970 was how I described. I kept that tractor for 5 years, then had to sell it for the economic needs at the time. Now you've got me wondering what the heck I had. I don't know if this dealership pulled a fast one on me or indeed JD rebadged some of their early models and sold 950's as 970's in the beginning. I wish I had that tractor to take a look see.