Different types of loader buckets?

/ Different types of loader buckets? #1  

FreeWulf

Tractor
None now
I grew up using a backhoe for a loader, first a Case 580C, and then an old Ford. The loader buckets on them are roughly as high as they are deep.

I noticed on many Ag tractors the FEL bucket is a lot deeper than it is high. What is the reason for this?

9eb7f8c234662db83958d69f81c4984c.jpg

$_58.jpg

/ Different types of loader buckets? #3  
Think it depends on the size, any ag loader I've used had a "square" bucket, depth and height being about the same.

/ Different types of loader buckets? #4  
The bucket pictured is shallower than any I have ever seen and I have had numerous loader farm tractors over the years. Buckets were shaped like the one on the 580 without the backsplash addition.

/ Different types of loader buckets? #5  
Many of the lower long buckets are more in line with the skid steer buckets.

/ Different types of loader buckets? #6  
The one obvious benefit is operator visibility - but it looks like capacity might suffer some although getting a good, full struck bucket isn't always easy anyway. When I upgraded to a SSQD 6' bucket and carrier years ago I made bolt-on forks for my old 5' bucket and welded a SSQD plate. It is a real pain using the fork bucket as you can't see any of the forks from the seat. One of the skid steer type buckets would let me see the fork tips anyway.

/ Different types of loader buckets? #7  
Have a couple different buckets - one is the stock Kubota bucket with the trapezoidal/truncated-triangle shape with the height being about equal to the floor depth, and the top edge placed at almost 50% of the floor depth. The other one I have is a W.R. Long 1.885 profile (rounded back, height very slightly shorter than the floor depth, with top edge set further back relative to the cutting edge).

Have also used the longer floor skidsteer buckets (on a skid steer), so have a few different perspectives/opinions when it comes to bucket shapes.

The long floor buckets do provide a bit better visibility of the leading cutting edge (more so on the skid steers, though they don't work miracles on a tractor where the engine is always blocking visibility). Personally I prefer the long floor design or just even having the top lip further behind the cutting edge when digging/scraping as it doesn't roll the material as far forward (or out of the bucket).

On the other hand when it comes to scooping loose material from a pile having that top edge a bit further forward can make for a better cup when lift up through the pile since it's less likely the top lip will end up below the front cutting edge on the lift through the pile. The design also tends to keep the cutting edge closer to the loader pins which can reduce the amount of force required from the curl cylinders. In turn that can make a noticeable difference when curling for the uplift (through a pile) ...especially when pushing into the base of a pile of heavy material.

Does it make a huge difference? Probably not on a per-bucket basis, but over the course of dozens (or more) of scoops the differences can add up.....though even then it may not be enough to justify having multiple buckets for everyone.

:unsure: ..... in some ways it's almost like the difference in shape between a dust pan and measuring cup (or ice cream pail).... either could have a larger volume, but each may have it's own advantages for scooping material depending on how the material is piled/spread......

Just my $0.02 though ...and I'm far from an expert when it comes to operating hours (just have a fairly wide set of different experiences).

/ Different types of loader buckets? #8  
I’ve never seen a bucket like that on a tractor. That’s pretty standard on a skid steer. The advantage of a long bottom bucket is they scoop a lot better than a half round bucket. The main reason they do it is so you can see over the top of the bucket. The disadvantage of a long bottom bucket is they lower your loading height and reduce breakout force.

/ Different types of loader buckets? #9  
My 72 inch bucket is unique, made for the Bobcat V417 compact telehandler:
P1070007 PN 7140706.JPG
P1070003 Rollback Angle.JPG
P3180020ca.jpg
P6060026.JPG
P7250002.JPG

Last edited:
   / Different types of loader buckets? #10  
Should mention, most older tractors and almost all CUTS (I believe) lack self-leveling. There is also a poor habit of putting near to max capacity buckets on FEL that are rated at dry weight.

What does this mean? Wet materials exceed the loader and tractor specs, you also have the bucket roll problem when the rams cannot hold the weight.

Bucket roll problem you ask? When a full bucket rolls backwards against the FEL structure dumping the bucket overflow on the front of the tractor or operator. This is usually a inexperienced operator error, but pretty high on the farm injury list regarding tractors, a bit less common than an overextended tractor rolling over.

That bucket shape is semi-common, called something like a snow or sand bucket. That iseki/Mitsubishi is probably near somewhere that has a damp season. Possibly that bucket is wider than it should be, compared to a more symmetrical one.

The most common tractor bucket is also the largest volume and that is the grain bucket.