differential locks

/ differential locks #1  

diesel lover

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ferg. To 20, 1956 Massey F. MF 25 diesel, Ferg. 40, 1944 John D. A, 1965 cockshutt 40,
I'm familar with differential locks because of my work with trucks and how air operated differential locks work.

*on a tractor should one only be used when stuck for a short distance than disengaged? Should it only be engaged while the wheels are stopped and not turning ?

*do they need to be operated different between a old tractor and new? Or operated the same way? I have s Massey mf25 diesel but find my self operating new equipment all the time.

Thanks, Trent

/ differential locks #2  
I'm familar with differential locks because of my work with trucks and how air operated differential locks work.

*on a tractor should one only be used when stuck for a short distance than disengaged? yes Should it only be engaged while the wheels are stopped and not turning ? Yes generally, but you may have to rotate the wheels a bit to get it to "drop in" you will feel you foot depress on the lever as you apply pressure and rotate the wheels slowly. But do not "spin" you wheels excessively as you attempt to engage the diff lock. If you do damage may occur.

*do they need to be operated different between a old tractor and new? Or operated the same way? I have s Massey mf25 diesel but find my self operating new equipment all the time.

Thanks, Trent
All I have ever seen operate the same as I have outlined above.

/ differential locks #3  
I use my dif lock all the time in my woods work. Have worked the tractor 12 years in the woods w/o any trouble. I am not quite as conservative as k0ua. According to my manual the dif log can be pressed at any time except (1) You should not be at high engine speed, (2) one of the rear wheels should not be stopped, i.e. already stuck, one wheel spinning and the other stopped, and (3) you should not have the dif lock engaged while turning.

Pulling logs I typically set my hand throttle at about 2000 rpm but run higher with my foot throttle. When I take my foot off the foot throttle the enginge drops to 2000 rpm and I step on the dif lock while I am still moving in anticipation of a hard spot up ahead. When I release the dif lock lever if it doesn't pop out I step on one or the other steering brake to release it. The key is use the dif lock before it is to late.
If I do get stuck before the dif lock is in I do what k0ua says, push clutch then engage dif lock.

Edit: My tractor has a geared transmission. I can't see why a hydro would be different but I don't know that.

Last edited:
   / differential locks #4  
I use mine quite a bit, in muddy or rutted conditions, and especially this winter while pushing/pulling snow. The R4 tires are awful for traction in mud & snow, and the diff lock works really well.

So easy to use too, right by the left heel, just push it down when needed, it pops back up in its own after you let up on the lock pedal.

/ differential locks #5  
I use my dif lock all the time in my woods work. Have worked the tractor 12 years in the woods w/o any trouble. I am not quite as conservative as k0ua. According to my manual the dif log can be pressed at any time except (1) You should not be at high engine speed, (2) one of the rear wheels should not be stopped, i.e. already stuck, one wheel spinning and the other stopped, and (3) you should not have the dif lock engaged while turning.

Pulling logs I typically set my hand throttle at about 2000 rpm but run higher with my foot throttle. When I take my foot off the foot throttle the enginge drops to 2000 rpm and I step on the dif lock while I am still moving in anticipation of a hard spot up ahead. When I release the dif lock lever if it doesn't pop out I step on one or the other steering brake to release it. The key is use the dif lock before it is to late.
If I do get stuck before the dif lock is in I do what k0ua says, push clutch then engage dif lock.

Edit: My tractor has a geared transmission. I can't see why a hydro would be different but I don't know that.

The big difference is the Diff. lock will be on the left heel with the hydro, instead of the right where they usually are on the gear.

/ differential locks #6  
The manual for my tractor says not to use the dif lock with 4wd, I have used it with 2wd but only at low when stopped.

/ differential locks
Good! Exactly what I thought! Don't sit there and spin one wheel and engage it. That could cause a skock to all the parts involved and break them. I would use it just like 4 wheel drive. Only while moving at a slow speed with both tires turning. It sure is nice on s 2wd tractor. My tractor has aggressive ag tires 8 speeds forward and wheel weights ! Great for my first home!

/ differential locks #8  
I used my diff lock alot today mowing an old neglected field. I almost got stuck once. I took my foot off the hydro pedal, stopping the whhels from moving, raised the deck a bit and put my foot down on the diff lock. Gently gave the hydro pedal some pressure and off I went. I was in about 2-3 inches of mud and i needed to get the grass knocked down. Worked like a champ!!

/ differential locks #9  
Good! Exactly what I thought! Don't sit there and spin one wheel and engage it. That could cause a skock to all the parts involved and break them. I would use it just like 4 wheel drive. Only while moving at a slow speed with both tires turning. It sure is nice on s 2wd tractor. My tractor has aggressive ag tires 8 speeds forward and wheel weights ! Great for my first home!

What will happen if you engage the differential lock at high speed on a geared tractor is that you will shear off the heads of the differential bolts. Then you limp home in 4 wheel drive but only the fronts have engagement. The rears will be useless until you pull everything apart and fix it.

/ differential locks #10  
I use diff lock a lot on our 117 acres of overgrown hillside. I have found that once a tire slips, it's too late. I often keep the DL in backing over a bank knowing I will need it once I reverse direction to go back up... but once I take my foot off the DL pedal to use the brakes when changing from rev to fwd it pops out and is now miss-aligned and won't go back in untill the tires turn at un-equal rates... grrrr.

I am gonna make a spring loaded Diff Lock lock. A lever mounted on my right fender that pressurises a spring going to the diff lock pedal so it will engage and stay locked as long as I want and keep my feet free for brake or foot throttle use.

I agree, dont engage diff lock under high torq loads at speeds... the shock load to axle components will be huge.