Difficult MX5400 LA1065 loader zerks

/ Difficult MX5400 LA1065 loader zerks #1  

Bullwinkle123

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400HST, Z724XKW-3-54
I have a Kubota branded grease gun, and an additional Lock-N-Lube grease fitting.

However the zerk at the top center of the attached picture is problematic (on both sides of the tractor):

DSC_1685.JPG

I suppose I should have cleaned the zerk before taking the photo, it points up toward the metal lip that is in the way, but not completely vertical, just slightly rotated clockwise, like the the thy who installed it knew it was going to be a problem for his grease gun.

The top metal lip of the loader is in the space that the grease fitting needs to occupy. I can get the fittings loosely connected, but not tight enough to get any grease _in_ the zerk, just all over it.

I'm looking at the 90 degree attachments, like this one on amazon Amazon.com: Lumax Silver LX-144 9 Degree Coupler for Hard-to-Reach Grease Fittings on Cars, Trucks, Farm Equipment. Ideal for Lubrication of Front and All-Wheel Drive Vehicles: Automotive or the Lock-n-lube equivalent, but I've no guarantee they'll fit either, and the the one on amazon has a number of critical reviews.

Or, for 95 cents this alemite angled zerk fitting might be better: Alemite - 45deg Angled Zerk Fitting | LockNLube - LOCKNLUBE

Not sure what to do here, have no experience with this stuff, are zerks easy to replace? (I would expect yes, but I don't know).

Anybody know for sure of a grease gun fitting that will attach (correctly) to these awkward zerks?

/ Difficult MX5400 LA1065 loader zerks #2  
I'd try replacing the zerk first as they are cheap and *should be* easy to replace and can be picked up at any tractor dealer, tractor supply, or auto shop. They come in various angles for access (as well as different thread patterns). I've replaced several and they always screwed out easily as there is a lot of grease around. If that doesn't work, I'd ask your dealer for advice.

/ Difficult MX5400 LA1065 loader zerks #3  
I had the same problem and solved it by drilling a hole in the arm so that I could install a short threaded straight zerk.

/ Difficult MX5400 LA1065 loader zerks #4  
I have no difficulty with that zerk using LnL. Not sure why you would.

/ Difficult MX5400 LA1065 loader zerks #5  
One of the problems with inserting a new zerk is getting it to line up so you can get a gun on it. ALso,I believe it is a short thread. I put a new zerk in mine but it wouldn’t take grease as it was jammed against the pin. At that point I drilled a hole using a step drill so I could use a straight zerk.

/ Difficult MX5400 LA1065 loader zerks #6  
Looks like you could lower the FEL a little more judging by cylinder rod. Might lift the front end. Don’t know if that would give enough clearance. Angle fitting would help too.

/ Difficult MX5400 LA1065 loader zerks
So the zerk has what seems to be a 7/16 nut above the threads (loader != tractor, so imperial? Or coincidence). I'm not sure I trust myself to measure thread spacing. But it sure looks like a 45 degree zerk would do the trick nicely, vs the 90 degree that's in there. Dealer says it shouldn't be problem replacing it, though I didn't think to ask what size it was on the phone.

Looks like you could lower the FEL a little more judging by cylinder rod. Might lift the front end. Don’t know if that would give enough clearance. Angle fitting would help too.

Raising or lowering the loader doesn't change the relative position to the metal lip that's in the way (it's part of what moves with the loader arm), though after a close look if I raised it very high I and rotated the zerk, I could probably access it from the _underside_ because of more space between the two loader arm segments. I don't really want to be working under a raised loader arm, even for something so trivial.

I have no difficulty with that zerk using LnL. Not sure why you would.

Perhaps the threaded segment of yours is longer, or it isn't pointing right up into that metal lip? Also, a grease fitting that was thinner or shorter would fit. A 45 degree zerk looks like just what the doctor ordered, the 90 degree one is just pointing to that lip. Rotating to either side doesn't buy me much, but if I have enough threads to pull it out a bit (away from the lip) that might give me enough room for a solid connection (dealer's suggestion!). Haven't tried it yet.

/ Difficult MX5400 LA1065 loader zerks #10  
I have a got selection of metric and English. Had to replace several on a used Kubota M5030 with loader. They were all British pipe thread (BPT). Today replaced an 1/16” zerk on a B26 ssqa pin. Non critical so used NPT. Could tell it was getting crossed about half way in. It tightened down and don’t have to worry about vibrating out. Took grease fine. Going to have to get a better selection of BPT zerks.