Dig a Small Pond for Fish

/ Dig a Small Pond for Fish #1  

saxon11

Bronze Member
Tractor
TYM T474
Here in MN I'm looking to dig a small pond (like 30' x 40'), up to 10' deep. I've watch a bunch of videos and read on how to do this. Anyone had experience with this and luck with fish (bass and sunfish)? Here is pic of current land (tough to see with snow, but is already a little low ground).
IMG_0094.jpg

Here is a local farmers pond i drove by that looked like something similar in the end I would expect:

IMG_0097.jpg

/ Dig a Small Pond for Fish #2  
Dug a pond in my back field about 20 years ago. Neighbor had equipment (bulldozer, backhoe) and did it for me.

Fed by just runoff or rain; no springs.

supports frogs, turtles, and such.

threw some trout in it a few years, but they died quickly.

/ Dig a Small Pond for Fish #3  
How big and deep of a pond is required so fish don't freeze? That would be the first thing I'd research if I was in a climate such as yours.

There are likely state resources to help your research.

/ Dig a Small Pond for Fish #4  
Almost 30 years ago I had a 50 foot diameter, 7 foot deep, pond dug for swimming. After a few years leaches started to appear (I guess brought in by ducks and geese) so I stocked the pond with 20 bass from a few inches to maybe a foot long. 5 of them died the first week but the others survived and some made nests at the sides of the pond every Spring and even after fishing some of the bigger ones out their numbers increased to about 40. There are hundreds if not thousands of tiny fish hatched each Spring but only a few survive. Then one winter the ice did not cover the whole pond leaving a foot or so gap around the edges for a few weeks. Some animal (a mink?) got in and almost cleaned out all the fish. There was a spot beside the pond where one could see where the animal had rubbed the fish on the ground to remove the scales. A few fish survived and continued to reproduce and now I have about 15 or 20 again. I don't feed them nor give them any other care and they seem to be happy as far as I can tell! They took care of the leach problem.

/ Dig a Small Pond for Fish #5  
Your big problem with a pond like you propose. Winter ice cover does not allow surface water aeration which will in turn aerate the entire water column. Organics in the pond will decompose and reduce oxygen to zero. At that point the fish will die.

You must have surface aeration. Keep the pond open - do not stir up the organics on the bottom. Some type of floating surface aerator.

Being that you are in Minnesota - the winter temps can be quite a challenge.

If you can develop a system that keeps the pond open during the winter - I would recommend bass.

/ Dig a Small Pond for Fish #6  
The information I received from the local Soil nd Water Conservation district was that 50% of the area should be at least 6' deep. With typical sloping, that requires about 100 foot in diameter.

We have a 100x60' farm pond here that has never had any fish but plenty of frogs and turtles.. Last summer my wife stocked it, we will see if anything survives.

/ Dig a Small Pond for Fish #7  
There will be another advantage to surface aeration. Your little pond would, most definitely, attract mosquitos. The surface aeration will cause sufficient turbulence to eliminate( drowned ) mosquito larva. This would require that the aeration system be run year round.

/ Dig a Small Pond for Fish #8  
This is my lake. It's 5.2 acres of open water and down at the far end - another 5 acres of shallow water and cattails. It's a small version of the typical lake around here in the Scabrock lands. The lake is 80 feet deep. Right at the interface of the water and the basaltic lava cliffs it's 40 feet deep.

About every 15 - 20 years or so - even my little lake will winter kill. Long extended ice cover and low output from the many springs on this end of the lake. Gives me a chance to try something new in the lake. However, with the way things are going - these warm winters - winter kill could be a thing of the past.

Right now it has both large/small mouth bass. I enjoy sitting on the cliffs and watching the schools of bass parade past.
IMG_0008.jpeg
Scan 2.jpeg

/ Dig a Small Pond for Fish #9  
I envy you western folks who are allowed to pretty much do what you want on your land. Even though I live in a rural county, here in the east, permits and a raft of red tape are involved to put in even a small fish pond. When I bought my land, I originally wanted to put in a 50' x 50' pond in an area fed by springs. The permit was denied by the DEP stating the area was wetland.

I used to brushog the area during the dry season to keep the weeds down but technically, I'm not even allowed to do that.

/ Dig a Small Pond for Fish #10  
bdhsfz6 - don't get the wrong idea here. My lake and cattail area was TOTALLY done by Mother Nature. I put fish in the lake and am it's caretaker. A project this large would be well beyond my financial resources. I'm sure the red tape and permits would, also, be awesome.

I have had - "interactions" with the State and Federal government regarding this lake, marsh land and the adjoining large lake ( Alkali Lk ). They have, over many years, attempted to assert jurisdiction over the lake, marsh, adjoining lake. It's not worth a lengthy discussion here. Needless to say - I still own and control everything within the bounds of my 80 acres.

Years ago, this matter was settled and put to bed.