Dirt work

/ Dirt work #1  

tjkubota93

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota bx1860
I have been getting bids to have trees cleared and land leveled. One contractor wants to bury the rootballs on another part of the property and make use of the displaced dirt. (To save dump fees and buying fill dirt)

My understanding is that they will rot over time and fall in, then I would need fill dirt. A friend is telling me they would not rot if buried.

Either way, nothing will be built upon the area where they would be buried.

?

/ Dirt work #2  
The people who built the home my parents now own buried all of the stumps removed from building the house in a big hole. My parents have been hauling in dirt for the last ten years to fill the area in.

They noticed the spot kept sinking a bit and then my mother walked across the area and one of her legs fell in up to her knee. They had someone come and dig it all up and remove as much as they could, but still are doing some filling after further settling.

So, if you bury them, I say burn them in the hole first.

Fill dirt is cheap.

/ Dirt work #3  
IMO, it is never a good idea to bury stumps, I have seen what happens 10-15 years down the road.. Someone buried stumps on my property several years before I bought it, I could tell they did before I bought the place and adjusted my offer accordingly, I rented some heavy equipment and moved it all to the edge of the 25 acres, it's rotting everyday above ground..

/ Dirt work #4  
I’ve buried stumps before. It sunk a lot in the first year mostly due to settling. It’s still sinking a little every year after 11 years.

/ Dirt work #5  
We buried some cedar stumps in pure clay (after burning as much as possible) almost three years ago, and no settling yet.

/ Dirt work
The people who built the home my parents now own buried all of the stumps removed from building the house in a big hole. My parents have been hauling in dirt for the last ten years to fill the area in.

They noticed the spot kept sinking a bit and then my mother walked across the area and one of her legs fell in up to her knee. They had someone come and dig it all up and remove as much as they could, but still are doing some filling after further settling.

So, if you bury them, I say burn them in the hole first.

Fill dirt is cheap.
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like it would be a pain in the butt.

I disagree, kinda. Fill dirt is cheap at the dirt pit. It's kinda expensive by the time it gets to my house.

/ Dirt work #7  
I wouldn’t be above burying stumps in an area you don’t care about, but I wouldn’t be so quick to haul off all the dirt because you’re need it later.

/ Dirt work
I wouldn’t be above burying stumps in an area you don’t care about, but I wouldn’t be so quick to haul off all the dirt because you’re need it later.
Oh no it would be used.

/ Dirt work #9  
   / Dirt work #10  
I got the root bawl from 18 fruit trees that I pulled out of my orchard. Put them in my "on-property" sanitary landfill and burned the snot outta them. Only way to go. If you can legally burn in your area - contractor digs hole - stumps go in hole - leave hole open and burn snot outta stumps - when done, cover burned stumps and fill hole back in.