Dirt

/ Dirt #1  

Tdog

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX22
Got a load of clay & topsoil delivered yesterday - - looks like I've got stuff to play with for a few days.

Jack

Attachments

• P7100018.JPG
    P7100018.JPG
    286.9 KB · Views: 182
   / Dirt #2  
Looks like fun lol

We just got about 20 yards of topsoil a few days ago for the grass around the house. Just not had time to get to it yet.

Ron.

/ Dirt #3  
Just curious as we don't have clay here (only Lake Michigan sand). What does one do with a load of clay?

/ Dirt #4  
We use a thin layer of clay between the sand and loam to help the loam hold moisture for lawn to grow. There is an old brick factory near me that had clay yards ,they would heat the clay in kilns or furnaces to make brick. Racetracks such as Rockingham Park[ horse racing] use clay on their track. plowking

/ Dirt #5  
I wandered out back on my place a few days ago and found a couple of piles of dirt/grass that a contractor had dropped offf. He worked on the house next door and I told him if he ever had any extra dirt, drop it by. Sure comes in handy filling the low spots.
David from jax

/ Dirt #6  
RobS said:
Just curious as we don't have clay here (only Lake Michigan sand). What does one do with a load of clay?

It holds our dirt road together, making a tough, water resistant surface. When I fill potholes in the road, I add some clay to the mix if necessary. So I actually try to keep at least a small pile of it on hand.

John

/ Dirt
The clay is used around here as a base to build on - - they scrape off the topsoil. I'm told it is unstable to build on. Then they bring in clay to give it some elevation above grade. I just built a garden storage shed & ran out of clay before I could fill in around its perimeter. Clay just about will not wash away.

Just for comparison purposes, each load was 24 yards. The clay was $200, the topsoil, $350.

/ Dirt #8  
Tdog said:
Just for comparison purposes, each load was 24 yards. The clay was $200, the topsoil, $350.

I have a pile of 6 dump truck loads of top soil and another stack of 3 dump trucks of clay .

The nice part is it was all free
:cool: .

/ Dirt #9  
sandman2234 said:
I wandered out back on my place a few days ago and found a couple of piles of dirt/grass that a contractor had dropped offf. He worked on the house next door and I told him if he ever had any extra dirt, drop it by. *Sure comes in handy filling the low spots.
David from jax
Yep and the price was rite too :cool: .