Disappointed that my GC 1700 series mmm deck is just paint and nothing else.

/ Disappointed that my GC 1700 series mmm deck is just paint and nothing else. #11  
I brush the underside of my mower decks with used oil every season. Helps keep the rust away.

/ Disappointed that my GC 1700 series mmm deck is just paint and nothing else. #12  
Perhaps, but I haven't seen a lot of it.

I see a lot of things which people believe is powder coated, that was actually painted.

Not all powder coatings are the same. But, all I have seen are are direct to metal.

While a good powder coat, is more chip resistant than wet applied paint, painting has the advantage for corrosion resistance. Because you can use undercoats, (primers), with paint, you can get a better bond.

If it's sitting outside, and at risk for corrosion, I would use paint.
I can agree with your statements. I can't confirm or deny which is better, but maybe it is open for debate. I often wonder as technology moves forward, if pride and workmanship quality has declined over the years. For example I have a John Deere 55 combine, a John Deere 14 T valet which are 50+ years old. My pick-up is 20 years old. The John Deere paint jobs maybe faded, but are still bonded well to the metal. My pick-up is a rust bucket. One has to consider if people had a little more pride in their workmanship in the "good ol' days".

/ Disappointed that my GC 1700 series mmm deck is just paint and nothing else. #13  
I can agree with your statements. I can't confirm or deny which is better, but maybe it is open for debate. I often wonder as technology moves forward, if pride and workmanship quality has declined over the years. For example I have a John Deere 55 combine, a John Deere 14 T valet which are 50+ years old. My pick-up is 20 years old. The John Deere paint jobs maybe faded, but are still bonded well to the metal. My pick-up is a rust bucket. One has to consider if people had a little more pride in their workmanship in the "good ol' days".

The EPA has taken all the good solvents out of paint to cut down on the VOC's, not to mention the lead. The old equipment had the good stuff.

The new paint has very little solvents in it, those solvents are the hardening agents. Paint years ago was hard as a rock and the low VOC paint today is softer and less durable.

/ Disappointed that my GC 1700 series mmm deck is just paint and nothing else. #14  
The new paint has very little solvents in it

The "high solids" paint has very little solvents in it. And, that is what is being used in VOC regulated areas. But, most areas are not regulated. And, the lower quality, low solids paint products, are still generally available, and full of low quality solvents, as they always were.

To make a high solids paint, into a low solids paint, you can simply add more reducer. Most technicians I know, over reduce high solids paints, to make it flow better, and reduce solvent popping from trapped chemicals. If you are not in a VOC regulated area, no one will stop you from going rouge, and doing that.

Those solvents are the hardening agents. Paint years ago was hard as a rock and the low VOC paint today is softer and less durable.

I'm not sure where you get that from. But, it's contrary to my training, and experience.

Two part air dry finishes, harden mostly from a chemical reaction. Curing, (full hardness), does not happen, until all the solvents have evaporated. So, low solvent paint can get there faster.

The VOC regulations did cause manufacturers to a lot of the remove solvents, that made them easy to apply. But, spraying technology, and practice, has overcome that.

I have been spraying automotive finishes since 1975. And, have used pretty much everything out there, and painted pretty much everything there is to paint. That includes hundreds of gallons of high solids clear.

Paint today, is more complex, and harder to work with, especially for untrained personnel. But, it is stronger, and more durable than ever.

The removal of lead, in automotive paint is still an issue, that has not been resolved, in that paint does not cover, (hide) very well without it. New technology, water based base coats, are solving that issue now too.

Last edited:
   / Disappointed that my GC 1700 series mmm deck is just paint and nothing else. #15  
Bought my Husvarana with orange painted 48 inch mower deck back in 2006, first year already started to rust and I shared the same concern as you. Here I am 11 years later with 400 hours and although its still rusty underneath its still solid....can last at least another 10 years. SO I have changed my mind about concerning myself with that issue.....it is what it is but will last a looooong time even still.

/ Disappointed that my GC 1700 series mmm deck is just paint and nothing else. #16  
Yep, Daigle, me too. Mine has what I'd call surface rust on its underside, but I'm not expecting it to fall apart any time soon. Still does a great job of mowing. Not worried about it.

/ Disappointed that my GC 1700 series mmm deck is just paint and nothing else. #17  
Perhaps, but I haven't seen a lot of it.

I see a lot of things which people believe is powder coated, that was actually painted.

Not all powder coatings are the same. But, all I have seen are are direct to metal.

While a good powder coat, is more chip resistant than wet applied paint, painting has the advantage for corrosion resistance. Because you can use undercoats, (primers), with paint, you can get a better bond.

If it's sitting outside, and at risk for corrosion, I would use paint.

Ray is correct. I believe the process is 'Electro-static paint application where the object is charged (+/-) and the paint is charged (-/+) as it exits the spray-gun wet. They bond strongly on cleaned steel.

Powder is coated dry but also electrostatically. It is more a 'plastic' not a 'paint'. Hence when heated it 'melts' to form a continuous coating. Doesn't like sharp corners/edges, however, in my experience.

/ Disappointed that my GC 1700 series mmm deck is just paint and nothing else. #18  
Have to disagree on the powder coat. I 've been around it. It bakes to the metal, nothing plastic about it. Whether the gun is electrically charged or not, I can't guarantee. I don't think it is.

/ Disappointed that my GC 1700 series mmm deck is just paint and nothing else. #19  
I have a lot of experience using an electrostatic paint sprayer. I own one.

Both paint, and powder can be applied electrostaticly. Both require different equipment. Powder coat is generally applied with an electrostatic gun.

Using an electrostatic gun does not increase the bond to the metal. This is best done in paint, by etching the metal, and applying coatings that can cross link together.

The main benefit of electrostatic is a uniform coating.

Neither paint, or powder likes sharp edges.

Powder coat is a polymer. So, it is a plastic.

/ Disappointed that my GC 1700 series mmm deck is just paint and nothing else. #20  
:thumbsup: