Disc clogging...but only one or two sections.

/ Disc clogging...but only one or two sections. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
My Disc has one spot that clogs up, very badly. The spot next to it clogs sometimes. The rest of the disc has no issues. The problem doesn't occur if the ground is very dry.

Anyone have any idea why just one area would clog up? If it was a moisture content problem, I'd think the entire disc would have the issue. I'm also puzzled why it is the same area all the time.

Thanks, in advance.

IMG_3594.jpg

/ Disc clogging...but only one or two sections. #2  
I can't see in your pic if you have scrapers on it. My disc has a scraper on every disc. In the old days when we lost one during planting, we would loop a chain through it but it needs to be bolted to the frame otherwise the chain spins and raises ****.

/ Disc clogging...but only one or two sections. #3  
Isn't that a complete PIA!!!! It turns the disc into a tire! And then there is the fun of getting the mess off with a digging bar.

Mine used to do the same thing. Of course, the mount that holds the bearings cleaned those sections off.

Sooooo...I took some old lawn mower blades, fabbed a mount, and added scrapers like fidowanttobe describes.

Maybe I can get a photo and post it later.

EDIT: OK, photo below of what was cobbed together to keep the blades clear. Note that it was not necessary in the space with the bearing hanger.

DSC00009.JPG

Last edited:
   / Disc clogging...but only one or two sections. #4  
Is the area that plugs located directly behind the tractor wheels? If yes this ground is potentially compacted a little tighter than the other areas which could cause it to stick together more.

/ Disc clogging...but only one or two sections. #5  
Any chance one blade is a replacement with a slightly different curvature? That might make the edges a little closer together than near the hub.

Bruce

/ Disc clogging...but only one or two sections. #6  
Is the section that clogs have a zerk in it or wider for the shaft joint? The ground seems to have a lot of grass on top. Has it been plowed or chiseled first?

/ Disc clogging...but only one or two sections. #7  
Its caused by a little to much moisture in the ground. My disc did the same, one on each gang on the front and one on the rear gang. The only way to solve this, is to add scrapers to the ones that clog up. That is what I did, no more clogging.

/ Disc clogging...but only one or two sections. #8  
Has anyone tried spraying cooking spray on it? If it is causing you a lot of trouble that may save some time.

What would be nice is if you could get a nonstick coating on the discs. Like frying pan stuff. Slide right through.

/ Disc clogging...but only one or two sections. #9  
Have used an old roller chain loosely looped around the frame and spool as mentioned above for years on my disk. Mine is an offset disk and it always built up between 2 taper blades especially in wet ground

/ Disc clogging...but only one or two sections. #10  
Has anyone tried spraying cooking spray on it? If it is causing you a lot of trouble that may save some time.

What would be nice is if you could get a nonstick coating on the discs. Like frying pan stuff. Slide right through.

Tractor Supply sells a graphite-based paint in a can or spray. I tried it on the bottom of a rotary cutter, on my backhoe bucket, and on plow shares. Lasted about 10 minutes with all the abrasion involved.

Also, common practice is to spray diesel fuel on the surface of a backhoe bucket in muddy ground to keep the soil from sticking and clogging the bucket. It lasts about 5 minutes.

If somebody could find something that worked great, they would make a fortune.