disc harrow (2 row floating vs. non-floating)

/ disc harrow (2 row floating vs. non-floating) #1  

edawg

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deere / 2025R
Am looking to buy a good disc harrow to work 2 previously well-worked garden areas plus to bust up a 3rd area as a corn patch (all told almost 2 acres). Found a set with a 6'5' wide set of16 discs for $400 locally on Craigslist.

From searching the threads, are these the Ford floating kind? Any great things or downsides to this style? The price seems to be right and I just can't afford $1000+ for a 6' tiller. I inherited a 5' 8-tooth spring harrow that won't cover the tire tracks on my Kubota as well, so am not sure I need discs, but they seem to be a smarter way to do the job to me.

Thanks y'all. -eDawg

Attachments

• disc harrow.jpg
    disc harrow.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 453
   / disc harrow (2 row floating vs. non-floating) #2  
I saw nobody responded....so I'll give it a shot.

That pic you have isnt the best.....but...I think from the looks of things the disc is a 3 point mounted, with a hinge point on the frame that allows the back gangs to float or be tipped up for extra weight on the front gangs. :confused: If so, this is similar to what Howse offers for one of their disc models.

I think this would make a good penetrating disc when the back gang is folded up for extra weight on fewer blades. Then after you get the ground broken up you can finish by folding the back set down.

I cant speak for the condition as the pic is pretty grainy...but the price sounds pretty good if the disc is straight. Small used discs are in short supply. Good Luck.

On giving your pic a good second look......I believe I'd go scoop that one up if its all in working order and a Ford brand. New price would be at least triple of that posted. The frame looks like its boxed and pretty stout...cant speak for any bearings or maintenance.....but, seems like a good deal to me.

/ disc harrow (2 row floating vs. non-floating) #3  
OK...on giving this pic a THIRD look.....It appears that the front and rear gangs can be adjusted to be more or less aggressive by a sliding affair located at the center of the disc (this is similar to Howse and others). The frame is mostly angle rather than tube....so its hard to know how rigid that disc will be...but it appears to be fairly stout. It appears that some of the blades are fluted and some are smooth...so evidently some have been replaced. Fluted are said to be better at chopping up trash and smooth are said to be better at finishing.

I dont "know"....but I doubt this is a Ford brand. I suspect this is made by Howse or another short line company. Look for a lable.

Still...if all is in working order....this would be a good value....AND you could spend your savings on a good digital camera. ;):D

/ disc harrow (2 row floating vs. non-floating)
foggy, Good info. I've attached a couple of more pics from the ad if that helps. The color looks like a Howse or maybe Landpride?

It looks like the front discs are the "smooth" kind on this one so it might not be a great set to chop up the corn patch. But I have the old tooth harrow for that so that might be the way I'd go on the new patch while using the discs for the "soft ground".

How tough is it to replace discs especially on the inside? I have visions of long nights with wrench in hand if the discs or bearings are going on it. I do tend to be on the negative side, but it's just a symptom of buying "well loved" equipment I guess! :)

Attachments

• harrow2.jpg
    harrow2.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 261
  • harrow3.jpg
    harrow3.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 250
   / disc harrow (2 row floating vs. non-floating) #5  
foggy, Good info. I've attached a couple of more pics from the ad if that helps. The color looks like a Howse or maybe Landpride?

It looks like the front discs are the "smooth" kind on this one so it might not be a great set to chop up the corn patch. But I have the old tooth harrow for that so that might be the way I'd go on the new patch while using the discs for the "soft ground".

How tough is it to replace discs especially on the inside? I have visions of long nights with wrench in hand if the discs or bearings are going on it. I do tend to be on the negative side, but it's just a symptom of buying "well loved" equipment I guess! :)

From the pics shown.....I doubt it's a Howse...based on the 3 point hitch.....as it appears pretty heavy duty. Posibly a Land Pride....just hard to say from pics like this...at least from my limited knowledge.

Typically folks will put the notched blades on the front to cut trash better and the smooths on the back for better finishing...but there are no rules on this....and maybe its different in diff areas? No biggie on those issues for your use...I think. Also, you can always switch the "gangs" ( of 4 blades...front for rear).

I have never replaced a disc blade...so I cant speak from doing. But, from what I have read it's not as big a deal as you may think. Look at the pic....each of those gangs of 4 blades are held in place with two brackets to the frame. Remove those....then remove the nuts on the end hubs of the discs....things should become easy from there. It may be that the bearings are good? Sometimes, with used stuff, its a leap of faith....if the price is right. ;) And this one is.....you can afford to put a few bucks into bearings at that price....at least in my mind.