Disc Harrow rusteration (Ferguson A BO 22)

/ Disc Harrow rusteration (Ferguson A BO 22) #1  

podagrower

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC 40
I had my eye out for a disc for a while and finally found one in decent condition for the money the guy wanted. First disc I've ever used or owned and hopefully it will also be the last (cause I think it will out live me). It doesn't need a lot, mostly cleaning and greasing. But I've decided I want to paint it to slow down the rust. There's dirt, grease, grime, and rust (not great big flaky rust, just surface rust) along the axles inside the spacers and bearings. None of it is concerning, but my mind wants me to paint the axles, that nobody is ever going to see, and the paint would get scratched all to death during reassembly. Would you do anything more to the axles than cleaning them and reinstalling?

/ Disc Harrow rusteration (Ferguson A BO 22) #2  
I would not worry about the rust. If the bearing are the sealed type - not to worry there either. Otherwise - grease the bearings.

If you are looking for something to do - grind down the rust with steelwool or sandpaper and spray paint with a good rattle can product.

/ Disc Harrow rusteration (Ferguson A BO 22) #3  
I'm doing the same project with my ford disc. I'm only painting the frame and gang hangers, anything that contacts dirt is staying rusty until I use it and polish the rust away.

/ Disc Harrow rusteration (Ferguson A BO 22) #4  
I wouldn't worry too much about the axles, if anything give it a light coat of a quality grease, like a bearing grease, or the red tacky grease, after you clean them up to suit you. That will last longer than paint, which will get scuffed off on reassembly, and make it easier to go back together.

As far as the frame, when you take it apart, you'll find it has wooden bearings. I have one of those disks, and it came to quite a surprise to me when I took mine apart to replace bolts on one gang, that had loosened up. Mine had been used, but maybe not all that much. The wooden bearings were still in excellent shape for its age. I'll attribute that to the PO, who apparently kept it well greased. Again, use a quality grease. Those are great little disks. Love the fact you can adjust it, from a full cut to work plowed ground, then set it for a finish pass, simply by adjusting the levers.

As for the frame itself, for things like that, I use a knotted cup brush on my 4" angle grinder. DeWalt makes some good one's. One should easily do that frame, plus several more large projects. Once it's buffed off, you'll more than likely have a bit of rust in pits caused by the rust. I highly recommend a product called Ospho Surface Prep.https://www.acehardware.com/departments/home-and-decor/cleaning-and-disinfectants/rust-removers/13867 It converts rust to iron phosphate, basically killing the rust. Brush, it on, and let it cure for 24 hrs. before priming/painting. I started using it 5-6 years ago, when cleaning up some of my old implements, and attachments for my garden tractors. I use it on about anything, including wheel weights etc. for my tractors. I bought a gallon at that time, and doubt I've used a quart out of the gallon. It is as thin as water, so it goes along way. It is an acid, so do wear protective gear. I'm pretty sure a quart is the smallest amount you can buy, but will last you for years on numerous projects. I got mine at the local Ace Hardware, but it's sold other places.

Everything I've used it on, has had no rust reappear, like things like this will do after several years, not getting all of the rust out of those little pitted areas, and a lot of it sets outside.

/ Disc Harrow rusteration (Ferguson A BO 22) #5  
Phosphoric acid does a great job on rust. It gets into the interstitial granular rust that can’t be seen and neutralizes it.

/ Disc Harrow rusteration (Ferguson A BO 22)
A little bit of before and after for your viewing disgust. The frame got sanding and wire wheeling and a coat of Corroseal and then a coat of primer. All the bits and bobs got wirewheeled and primer. Almost all of the hardware got replaced. I think I can finish it this weekend, but my mind is still questioning the bearings. The top half and bottom half obviously fit together and fit the axle bearing, but it feels sloppy? There was about 1/4" of rock hard grease that I removed, should I leave it and grease it or throw some packing rope in there?
20220909_165415.jpg

20220909_165358.jpg

/ Disc Harrow rusteration (Ferguson A BO 22) #7  
   / Disc Harrow rusteration (Ferguson A BO 22) #8  
   / Disc Harrow rusteration (Ferguson A BO 22) #9  
Here's where your drain oil comes in just spray
to keep from rusting

willy

/ Disc Harrow rusteration (Ferguson A BO 22)
I did in fact manage to get it put back together this weekend. I got one of the arms that holds the scrapers put on wrong and one of the ball joints is being held together with zip ties, but it's usable. In the picture above, it's just primered, but after a coat of gloss black, I think it looks really good. It was a fun trip thru agricultural archeology. There's a couple of "nothing more permanent than a temporary fix that works" field repairs and the stampings of HF for Harry Ferguson and MF Canada on the same parts makes me wonder about the timeline of the merger (did the merger become official in Canada first?).