Disc Harrow Disc Size for John Deere 950?

/ Disc Size for John Deere 950? #11  
One other thing I forgot to mention in my post, I wouldn't even consider a disc that you couldn't adjust the angle of the gangs to be able to cut aggressively, there is a big difference in scratching the soil and cutting the soil and most of the non-adjustable disc that I have seen do not cut aggressive enough.

/ Disc Size for John Deere 950? #12  
One other thing I forgot to mention in my post, I wouldn't consider a disc that you couldn't adjust the angle of the gangs to be able to cut aggressively, there is a big difference in scratching the soil and cutting the soil and most of the non-adjustable disc that I have seen do not cut aggressive enough.

I agree with you.

I believe the thin pan, angle iron frame Disc the OP is considering will ineffectually roll over the surface, collecting a few rocks and chunks of wood between the pans in the process.

Last edited:
   / Disc Size for John Deere 950? #13  
I have a 7.5 ft old MF disc from the 50s or 60s. It weighs around 700 lbs and has adjustable angles. 40hp 4x4 and it can stop my tractor flat out if I am trying to go too deep. I would look for something smaller than 6 ft personally. Under certain conditions and soil types it will be a hard pull on a smaller tractor. There are days I wish I had 60-70hp for what I am trying to do

/ Disc Size for John Deere 950? #14  
I have a tiller already. Hesitant to use it for the first few times until I get some of the bigger root chunks and rocks picked up.
I assume you are talking about a PTO powered tiller, and if so, you are wise to not use it initially. WHat I am discussing is seen in the following you tube clip. Ferguson 9BO 9 Shank Tiller - YouTube That is the best thing for pulling up the rocks and roots initially before you disc or do anything else. if you use that tiller multiple times you will get most of your rocks and roots to the surface where they can be removed. Its spring loaded tines work great and protect from breakage if a large root or rock is encountered. Then you can use a disc to level the soil. You really won't be able use the PTO tiller for a couple of years because the winter freezing and thawing will "grow" a new crop of rocks each year. :) Here in Virginia I have a garden in a field that has been worked for > 80 years and I still pull up rocks that give my PTO tiller heartburn. W Jones

/ Disc Size for John Deere 950? #15  
I had one of those 5' box tube disc that was very easy to pull behind my 950 in 2wd. That said, I couldn't get it to take much of a bite in the ground no matter how aggressive I set the disc rows. This old hay field out here in Nevada is almost like concrete sometimes. I added about 500 lbs. to the top and still would only bite couple of inches down. I didn't have rocks or roots, so I hooked up my little potato plow blade and sank it full depth into the ground and ripped it all. Came back with a Howard 5' tiller went to full depth in most places first pass. 3 pass it was smooth and workable, very fine soil. Moral of the story, thinking it will depend on what type of soil you have. In my case, a small disc proved almost useless, wasn't a matter of what the tractor would pull. I think a 2wd 950 with good rear tires should pull a 6' with ease, but it still comes back to your soil and how deep you can sink it in ??
Chris

/ Disc Size for John Deere 950?
Here are a couple pictures of my cleared food plots so you can get a better idea of what I'm working with.

IMG_0765.JPGIMG_0766.JPG

And then what about this piece of equipment? Would it be better than a disc?

IMG_0767.JPG

/ Disc Size for John Deere 950? #17  
Thats pretty sandy soil from what I can gather from the pics. So you shouldn't have too much issue.

I do all my discing with an old Oliver Super55 34 hp and about the same size/weight of an 8n. I got one of those economy grade 18" 6.5' disc from TSC and it handles it no problem on the most aggressive setting. It is light so I had to add 400# of weight to it to help it dig. My soil has very little clay in it so it is pretty easy to cut into and work.

Your 950 while having less hp than my Oliver probably has a better torque curve than my old gasser but Im guessing my tractor beats you on weight. If anything I think you might loose traction before you loose power to pull a 6.5' disc still downsize to a 5'.

Run that plot a few times with a disc and then go over it with a chain harrow and you will have a bed good enough for seeding.

/ Disc Size for John Deere 950? #18  
I have a 7.5 ft old MF disc from the 50s or 60s. It weighs around 700 lbs and has adjustable angles. 40hp 4x4 and it can stop my tractor flat out if I am trying to go too deep. I would look for something smaller than 6 ft personally. Under certain conditions and soil types it will be a hard pull on a smaller tractor. There are days I wish I had 60-70hp for what I am trying to do

That JD 950 would struggle with a MF disc, those bad boys are heavy and can cut aggressively.

If I were the OP I'd get a rock rake and then use the tiller after getting the roots and rocks out.

/ Disc Size for John Deere 950?
That JD 950 would struggle with a MF disc, those bad boys are heavy and can cut aggressively.

If I were the OP I'd get a rock rake and then use the tiller after getting the roots and rocks out.

That would definitely be cheaper. What about roots that are buried deeper than the rock rake can get, but the tiller could still hit?

/ Disc Size for John Deere 950? #20  
If your food plots are only 1 acre, width doesn't really matter. Better to be narrower and heavier than wider and lighter. If you really wand to chew things up, I would go old school and use a Bog Disc.