Discussion

/ Discussion
Thank you for the responses so far. I guess I'm just trying to get different feelings from different people about this thing. Hopefully it'll help me interact better with victim's families and bystanders in these situations. Remember, there are no right or wrong answers. Thanks again for your input.

/ Discussion #12  
Mike,

I don't know if this relates or not but I'll share it and let you decide. As you may be aware, I recently had a terrible scare with my daughter. I chose not to share anything about it until after I knew the outcome was positive. Personally, I don't like talking, writing, hearing or reading about bad things befalling children (and, yes, I know she's 24 and in law school, but she's still my little girl).

Maybe it's a 'head-in-the-sand' approach, but it works for me. I don't want to focus on things like that with others' because, in my case, it only serves to make me anxious about mine. I know things like that happen, I just don't want to focus on them.

It sounds like maybe my thinking isn't unique on things like this.

/ Discussion #13  
I'll have to go in the "against" category - and agree that I am tired of these stories - all stories, not just the ones with kids. Every one is a result of really stupid things being done, violating a basic safety rule, rather than some obscure or rare issue. I find they add no knowledge of safety to my understanding. I don't mean to be harsh, just brief /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

Also, as one who has awakened, sweaty and breathless, from a dream that our youngest slipped down a hole in the ice while fishing, I can say without reservation that I do not need any more "material" for my already over-fertile imagination.

Ever try to claw through 24" of ice?

/ Discussion #14  
My guess is that people don't want to deal with or respond to the death of a child. We tend to view the death of children as "unfair" and that an older persson should have died as they had the chance to live life. As a mom, I tend to avoid kidnapping, rape and death stories of children because of the pain it could/can promote.

/ Discussion #15  
As a Dad, I'll second that last post!

/ Discussion #16  
Not having children myself, I'm sure I can't fully relate with those that do. That said, I personally find the safety forum one place of interest because I, out of ignorance or bravado, (are they maybe the same thing) might do something that those wiser than me know not to do.

It is tough hearing about some of the blatent incidents of stupidity but then..as i live on small road that is roughly 12 feet wide and we have yahoos racing down the road every now & then around blind corners, I'm a bit more aware of watching for them. (ala tractor getting back ended while puttering down road story)

so for me, I now do NOT take my nephew for a ride in the 8 foot wide bucket of Brutus. never HAD, never THOUGHT about it... but today, I specifically will NOT do it as a matter of principle.

Had it not been for this safety forum (or TBN more generally), I would not have had my attitudes molded this way.

I am one that reads all that is there (includes most all forums)

/ Discussion #17  
Evening Mike,

I think the answer to your question goes along the lines of us not wanting to examine the issue too closely because it is too close for comfort.

I don't think your message landed on deaf ears. Notes were made and I'm sure those wouldn't have before will pass if a test ever comes along.

You do have to remember these boards are first and foremost entertainment. The subject you're bringing up isn't. So I don't think I'd put more into it than there is.

But I do believe that it's important for posts like yours to be here. They are seen and they are important. And I'm sure everyone will agree, appreciated.