Disintegrating Blades

/ Disintegrating Blades #1  

Bob_Bainbridge

Platinum Member
I just pulled the 54 inch deck from my 2004 3235 to clean the deck, sharpen the blades and apply POR-15. To my surprise there isn't much left to sharpen. I have the high-lift blades, PN 742-3044 for the bagger. They have a wing bent upwards on the reverse edge of the blade. The blade nearest the chute was the only one still intact. The center blade had one wing completely gone and the other starting to crack and come off. The last blade was missing both wings. Has anyone else seen this? My 1 acre yard is very wet and I do have a few tree roots sticking up. I probably have about 180 hours on the mower.

Bob B.

/ Disintegrating Blades #2  
If you are cutting in sandy soil, the sand can act like shotblast and quickly wear off the hi-lift blade wings....

/ Disintegrating Blades #3  
WOW! 180 hours and this is your first set of blades? I'd say that you've gotten max life out of those things. Mine go about 50 hours on moderately sandy soil.

/ Disintegrating Blades #4  
Is this your first time sharpening them???

Gotta stop mowing those roots!!! ;)

/ Disintegrating Blades
xlr82v2 said:
Is this your first time sharpening them???

Gotta stop mowing those roots!!! ;)

Yes, I do have a bad habit of levelling off the roots sticking up. I bought a new set of blades today at the dealer (about $25 a blade). He said that the wings get a lot of wear. I actually have 198 hours on them and never sharpened - I put on about 50 hours per season.

Bob B.

/ Disintegrating Blades #6  
Hi Bob - I'd tell you to sharpen them more, but then again if you're happy with the cut who am I to tell you what to do? My main comment is if you see some wings worn or broken off, others still there, you'll have blades that are badly out of balance. Replacing them more often will save your spindles over the long run.

/ Disintegrating Blades
I guess I'll have to look under the deck more often and check the blade condition. I don't know how long they were running unbalanced - actually only the center blade was off-balance. I removed the deck 5/06 and the blades were good enough that I didn't sharpen them. I coated the new blades, along with the deck, with POR-15. I'll see if that makes any difference.

Bob B.

/ Disintegrating Blades #8  
Yeah, you really need to pay closer attention to your deck and blades. I know it's a pain but I pull my deck every other mowing mainly just to clean out the build up and inspect the blades.

/ Disintegrating Blades
micman32 said:
Yeah, you really need to pay closer attention to your deck and blades. I know it's a pain but I pull my deck every other mowing mainly just to clean out the build up and inspect the blades.
Well, at 260 pounds I don't think I'll pull the deck that often but I will look at the blades more often.

Bob B.

/ Disintegrating Blades #10  
Bob_Bainbridge said:
Well, at 260 pounds I don't think I'll pull the deck that often but I will look at the blades more often.

Bob B.

Yeah it's a PIA to remove the deck! I do it more because of the build up. The grass always seems to collect in the center blade area causing the quality of cut to be poor.
A good suggestion is to jack it up and keep an eye on things. Heck, I was your neighbor I'd do it for you!!!!:)

Michael