Distributer removal

/ Distributer removal #1  

Chuck52

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L210
I need to revive my old '91 F-150 so I can do the fall clean up chores. I've been told I might have a bad TFI module on the distributor and I need to check it. My Chiltons manual says to remove the distributor and check some resistances....no big deal. However, in reading about reinstalling the distributor it talks about checking the timing, rotating the engine by hand, etc. If I remove the distributor and don't rotate the crank or the distributor gear, can't I just stick the thing back in and assume the timing has not been changed? If that sounds ignorant it's becuase I am when it comes to these things. BTW, how do you rotate the engine by hand? Sure looks heavy to me!

Chuck

/ Distributer removal #2  
When you remove dist. check where the rotor is pointing and mark it with something like a felt tip and it should fall right in for you
Jim

/ Distributer removal #3  
Mark the manifold and the dist. housing. Then mark where the rotor is turned on the dist. That will get you all most right. From my experience it will still need a timing light, but will be real close. Doing it that way you shouldn't get it a tooth off. If you do get it a tooth off, you will have to get the #1 piston on TDC before you can get it fixed. Make sure the engine doesn't turn any after it is taken out.

/ Distributer removal
Jim & Jerry,

Thanks. Sounds like I can't be too much worse off than I am anyway.

Chuck

/ Distributer removal #5  
It has been a while since I worked on a Ford but don't be susprised if the rotor turns as you pull the distributor. The drive gear is most probably helicaly cut and will rotate the shaft as it disingages. You need to mark the distributor housing where the rotor ends up pointing and go back in starting from that mark.

Vernon

/ Distributer removal
Thanks. I'll mark it every which way. If I can get the beast at least running, I'll take it in for a tune up. I'm just trying to avoid having to get it towed in only to get a big surprise for a repair bill.

Chuck

/ Distributer removal #7  
chuck if you want to change the module there is a special scoket to remove
the module,plus you can change it in the truck but you will have to rotate the dist.and be very carefull of the wires in the dist .

/ Distributer removal #8  
Hope this helps you.

Open Bowl Distributor
42301267.gif

REMOVAL

1. Remove distributor cap and adapter. Position cap and wires aside.
2. Disconnect TFI wiring.
3. Remove distributor from engine using tool T82L-12270-A or equivalent to remove security-type hold-down bolt, if equipped.
4. Place distributor on workbench and remove 2 TFI module screws.
5. Pull right side of module down distributor mounting flange and then back up to disengage module terminals from connector in distributor base. Module may then be pulled toward flange and away from distributor.

CAUTION: Do not attempt to lift module from mounting surface before moving entire TFI module toward distributor flange, as pins at distributor/module connector will break otherwise.
INSTALLATION

1. Coat metal base plate of TFI ignition module with 1/32 inch thick layer of silicone grease D7AZ-19A331-A, or equivalent.
2. Place TFI module on distributor base mounting flange. Carefully position TFI module assembly toward distributor bowl and securely engage 3 distributor connector pins.
3. Install 2 TFI module mounting screws and torque to specification.
4. Install distributor on engine.
5. Install distributor cap and adapter.
6. Connect TFI wiring.
7. Check and, if necessary adjust engine timing.

/ Distributer removal
Thanks Junkman. That diagram is much more detailed than the one in my manual.

Chuck

/ Distributer removal #10  
A lot of good points already.

The best thing is to get it top center on #1 when you start the project. It takes a few minutes to line everything up. Once it is done though, it should make the rest of the job easier.

To rotate the engine, get a socket with an extension on the bolt for the crank pulley. Turn it slowly with a breaker bar.

Someone mentioned the rotor may move as you slip the distributor out; it did on my 351W. Most Ford small blocks are the same that way.

My module went out on my old truck. It was easy to fix, but the prep work before pulling the distributor really made it easy.