Diverticulitis anyone?

/ Diverticulitis anyone? #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
I've had diverticulitis for about 6 years. That has to be one of the worst disorders of the intestines. It is of the devil, for sure. Haven't had an episode for the last year or so, at least not a really bad one. I remember having the sheites after eating too much hot spicy things and Montezuma's revenge off and on. This divert. is the worst when it hits. No rhyme or reason. I'm careful not to eat any spicy food as that is a guaranteed relapse. I avoid leafy greens like a good salad. I can eat cooked greens. Let me tell you what an attack is like. I got home this morning after my last night shift (12 hr 7 days on 7 off) haven't been eating anything unusual. Been regular in the bathroom etc. I get in the bed about 6:30 am. I am just about asleep and the gut starts rumblings. Not now dang it. Bad timing for sure. I get up and head to the bathroom. Wife is out walking the dogs. It gets to hurting really really bad. Major cramps, I think I'm fixing to die sort of cramps. About 10 or 15 minutes, I wish I am dead. Start praying by then as I am laying on the floor in a tremendous amount of pain. I mean death throes pain. Face is extremely red and sweating profusely even though it is 66F in the house. Sure this stuff is of the devil by now. Mega cramping/ on and off the toilet/drop to the floor where I can barely make it back up to the toilet without blacking out.
Very dizzy and nauseated to the point of throwing up. Great, now it's both ends. She is going to kill me when she sees throw up on the brand new bath mats she had just put down yesterday. More immense pain for about 1.5 hours. When all the really bad stuff (liquid) passes, it calms down. I take two pills the doc gave me a couple of years ago to settle down the vagas nerve that causes this. It seems the nerve just goes haywire when the episode occurs. It doesn't know to just get rid of the mess, it gets rid of all the mess. The entire colon. It finally settles down to a dull uproar and I just get in the shower to clean up. Dang it, she came back during the worst part and sees the upchuck on her new mats. I go back to bed and toss and turn until I finally drift off, completely exhausted. My wife Has told me several times that I am by far the toughest person she has ever met. I don't give up easily, sort of like just keep on keeping on. This stuff just beat me down to a whimpering fool. I leave a sweat outline where I was laying. I can tell when it's about to strike because it starts feeling like someone is choking me and my throat swells up, face gets very red. If I would just go to a hospital during this episode, the surgeon would take me in and cut out that section the diverticulitis is in. usually the lower colon. I've had higher blood pressure most of my adult life. It seems to run in the family. I wasn't no where close to being fat at 25 and up to about 55. At 25 or so, I started getting light headed dizzy at times, no beer was not involved...lol . Been taking pills to control that and I am 60 now. It seems that people with higher blood pressure are prone to this. Episodes don't happen too often now as I am much more careful about eating stuff that triggers it. I read this, " The colon, when distended with stool or gas, stimulates the vagus nerve--that comes from the GI. The vagus nerve is connected to circulatory function and cardiac function, hence the blood pressure drop and low pulse." This seems to be the same with people that have IBS, irritable bowl syndrome. All involves the vagus nerve and over stimulation of some kind. I'm wondering if any of ya'll have anything like this that becomes debilitating for a couple of hours? Then feeling like a whipped puppy for the next 8 hours or so. I've had a colonoscopy and the doc said diverticulitis or the pockets that form from the blood pressure being too high over a time period. This stuff is truly of the devil. :mad: My worst fear is that it will strike when I am off too far to make it home. I've been 130 miles away and drove like the devil to get home before it hits completely. I get the warning signs a little before it hits. Those pockets can rupture and spill the colon contents into the stomach area and then peritonitis and maybe death if not fixed immediately. :eek:

/ Diverticulitis anyone? #2  
I had gall stones where I was puking and thought I was going to die, but that is nothing like what you have. I hope they can get it under control somehow. My prayers are with you.

/ Diverticulitis anyone? #3  
Wow! Sounds really bad news. I have diverticulosis, I believe, which is the lesser evil, if I'm not mistaken. Told if it flares up like you described at the end of your story it can be life threatening, from mostly what you said about a burst 'pocket'. These conditions, IBS, etc. can and do wreak havoc on people's lives and also make one fear the possible 'outbreak' of an episode like you said happened when you got home, happening when least convenient, or far away from home and the comforts, security of same.
If you haven't been to a doc recently about your severity of the condition, let me suggest you do so to see if maybe the way to go is surgery. Not that I'd wish it on anyone, and surgery is a last resort in most cases for any condition; but it sounds like you're really suffering. Sorry to hear what you're going through, it sounds like a hellish nightmare, to say the least.
Are you controlling your blood pressure with meds, and other critical vital signs?
Here's hoping you find relief, and I'm sure your wife understands you aren't messing up her bathroom on purpose by any means.
Here's wishing you the best, and a good outcome from whatever route of treatment you chose.
It takes courage to share this kind of thing here- good for you on doing so, for your and other's benefit.

/ Diverticulitis anyone?
"Are you controlling your blood pressure with meds, and other critical vital signs?"

Oh yes, for all these years. I didn't have high blood pressure when I was in the navy. Strange it hit me after those 4 years at around 25. We were at church one Sunday night and the head nurse at one of the hospitals would bring her stuff and check peoples pressure after the service. I told her I was feeling light headed and she checked it. It was really high for me being in good condition. She told me to go to the doc the next morning. He was surprised I was walking around with it that high. Pills got it down where it should be. The pills have been changed over the years as better stuff came on the market.

She wasn't mad about the bathroom...lol Still, everything on this farm fears the wrath of the "Red Head". You should see her chihuahuas haul butt to get on me when they were into something they weren't supposed to be.

/ Diverticulitis anyone? #5  
Getting the bacteria in your gut healthy and balanced may help some. Natural sources of this are yogurt with live cultures and unpasteurized fermented foods such as sauerkraut, dill pickles, and kimchee to name a few. You can also make your own fermented vegetables fairly easily. Good gut health cuts down naturally on constipation and bloating.
My wife and I had to educate ourselves on this since our son was afflicted with ulcerative colitis at four years old. His condition was a very delicate balancing act for a long time. Keeping his gut bacteria healthy and balanced was helpful in keeping his flares ups somewhat under control.
Hopefully you get this under control soon, its sounds like something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

/ Diverticulitis anyone? #6  
Man, I truly feel your pain, I know what you are going through. These types of disorders are more common than most people know.

/ Diverticulitis anyone? #7  
Take yourself to a doctor and get a proper diagnosis and referred for a colonoscopy to give it a proper evaluation. Do get proper dietary advice as there are diets that help.

Being tough will not be fun if there is a perforation and you have the pleasure of a bag for a year or so. Being tough will not cure it either.
Being tough will help you sit up after the operation!

/ Diverticulitis anyone? #8  
I have been going threw the same crap since 08. I had 12 inches of colon removed in 2015 then had problems with Colitis now. It is connected with your immune system. I had chemo in 2010 that knocked my whole system out of whack. See your doc if you are always having attacks. The best time for surgery is when it is calm not angry. Good luck.

/ Diverticulitis anyone? #9  
Getting the bacteria in your gut healthy and balanced may help some. Natural sources of this are yogurt with live cultures and unpasteurized fermented foods such as sauerkraut, dill pickles, and kimchee to name a few. You can also make your own fermented vegetables fairly easily. Good gut health cuts down naturally on constipation and bloating.
My wife and I had to educate ourselves on this since our son was afflicted with ulcerative colitis at four years old. His condition was a very delicate balancing act for a long time. Keeping his gut bacteria healthy and balanced was helpful in keeping his flares ups somewhat under control.
Hopefully you get this under control soon, its sounds like something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Agree with above. I've had similar symptoms but not as extreme. From time to time I take a product called Healthy Trinity sold by Natren. It is very pricey but it works for me and it helped my mother too. It is shipped cold and has to be refrigerated. I highly recommend it. The lowest price right now is $352 for 270 capsules.

Natren Probiotic Supplements - Official Store

Good luck,
Kevin

/ Diverticulitis anyone? #10  
Agree with above. I've had similar symptoms but not as extreme. From time to time I take a product called Healthy Trinity sold by Natren. It is very pricey but it works for me and it helped my mother too. It is shipped cold and has to be refrigerated. I highly recommend it. The lowest price right now is $352 for 270 capsules. Natren Probiotic Supplements - Official Store Good luck, Kevin

I am amazed that you have not chosen the surgery option. It is quick and the recovery is fast. Have you had the radioactive bowel injection x-ray to see what proportion of your bowel is affected?

Do check out the surgery option in the web. It is VERY effective.

BTW, does anyone know how much surgery would cost? (It would be free here in Ontario, but likely not in the U.S. unless you have the correct type of medical insurance.)