DIY Backhoe Bucket

/ DIY Backhoe Bucket #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
I am in the process of purchasing a new Mahindra 3215 4WD with FEL and backhoe/16" bucket and anticipate the occasional need for a smaller bucket when trenching, etc... and have read a number of articles about building your own backhoe and began thinking that I might like to build my own (smaller) bucket to fit the Mahindra backhoe for use when a smaller bucket is needed.

Has anyone built their own bucket or have any suggestions about how easy or difficult it might be?

NOTE: I have all the equipment needed (torches, welder, etc...) and reasonable DIY skills.

/ DIY Backhoe Bucket #2  
I made a 6" bucket for my backhoe, http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...69d1175554284-gc2310-attachments-100_0172.jpg
By the time I bought all the material, and spent time making it, I did not save any real money. Unless you cannot get the bucket you want, (I could not buy a 6"), You could be better off buying it.

To make a good bucket, you need very hard steel for the cutting edges and it is not cheap. If you can get scrap or drops form a local supplier, you might be able to make it worthwhile. Another option could be to buy a used bucket and modify it for your machine. Many Dealers have old, unknown usage buckets that can give you a good head start. Bushings to fit your machine can be bought at Tractor Supply Co.

If you want to dig clay soil, a bucket smaller than 12" is not recommended. The clay will not want to come out of the bucket when you empty it.

/ DIY Backhoe Bucket #3  
ray66v said:
I made a 6" bucket for my backhoe, http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...69d1175554284-gc2310-attachments-100_0172.jpg
By the time I bought all the material, and spent time making it, I did not save any real money. Unless you cannot get the bucket you want, (I could not buy a 6"), You could be better off buying it.

To make a good bucket, you need very hard steel for the cutting edges and it is not cheap. If you can get scrap or drops form a local supplier, you might be able to make it worthwhile. Another option could be to buy a used bucket and modify it for your machine. Many Dealers have old, unknown usage buckets that can give you a good head start. Bushings to fit your machine can be bought at Tractor Supply Co.

If you want to dig clay soil, a bucket smaller than 12" is not recommended. The clay will not want to come out of the bucket when you empty it.

Good suggestion, about buying one and modifying it. I've "been there, done that" on a few items. Never saved a dime. Had fun building though.

I too, want a narrower bucket for my JD410. There are times when a 12" or narrower bucket would come in handy. Don't know if I want the digging the stuck stuff from a narrow bucket PITA situation though. Reason I haven't gone less than my 16" bucket.

/ DIY Backhoe Bucket #4  
i thought you could put release holes on the backside for smaller buckets so you dont get quite the suction effect.

/ DIY Backhoe Bucket #6  
schmism said:
i thought you could put release holes on the backside for smaller buckets so you dont get quite the suction effect.

My bucket has the hole, it does not make a bit of difference. Spraying the bucket with various lubricants, and hanging piece of chain inside the bucket are also not the solution.

I have thought about a solution like the one shown in the ejector bucket thread, or a spring loaded mechanism to eject the spoils.

The biggest problem is it is just too easy to rent a trencher when I need a narrow trench. Fast, easy and the back fill is soft powder. So I don't mess with the 6" bucket.

/ DIY Backhoe Bucket #8  
I built a 5" bucket based on the cad plans design. It was a total failure in my heavy clay soil - it took a long time to chip the concrete like compacted clay out of the bucket. I decided to use the bucket to remove small stumps, so I cut almost all of the back out, but the clay still compacted in the bucket. I finally removed some of the sides, and now it works great as a stump ripper. Also - since I use my buckets "occasionally", I don't bother with the super steel edges or teeth - I use regular steel, and if they ever wear out, I'll weld on something new - two backhoe buckets and a skid steer bucket, and no problems so far.

Attachments

• 5 inch bucket.jpg
    5 inch bucket.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 5,894
   / DIY Backhoe Bucket